Book 3 Chapter XX: A Mutual Friend

Start from the beginning

"How are we ever going to get all of this unpacked and put on the train?" Koyuki wondered.

Irímé winced. "I think I should have left some at home and sent for it later."

"Yes," Siarvin said grimly. He was having to hold a suitcase against the carriage door to stop it toppling over on top of him.

Everyone breathed a sigh of relief when the carriage finally arrived at the station. No trains went directly from Eldrin to Tananerl. It was much too far away. Instead they would take a train to Veiteos, the furthest this line went, and would change there to another train that took them to Tananerl. When the air ship companies finally settled their disputes with various city councils, then there would be a way to travel directly to Tananerl. Until then, everyone would just have to make do with the extra inconvenience.

Abi was waiting at the station. Arafaren and one of her older sisters lurked behind her. Irímé would have thought they were there to be chaperones if not for the dark looks both of them kept shooting at Abi. Oh. This was about the house arrest business, then.

The porter came to help put all the suitcases -- everyone else's as well as Irímé's, and his embarrassment was somewhat lessened when he saw that Shizuki had brought a large collection of luggage too. Not as large as his, but enough to explain why there had been so little room in the carriage -- onto the train.

Abi approached him. Then she glared over her shoulder as her siblings followed.

"What happened?" Irímé asked. "I went to see you but your parents said you weren't allowed to see anyone."

Abi grimaced. "Grandmother found out about the necromancy. She's put me under house arrest and tomorrow I'm being sent to Gengxin."

He'd already heard about that. "But she already knew about the necromancy."

"She didn't know I'd broken my promise not to do it any more. And she was furious when she found out."

I told you so, Irímé wanted to say. It took a great deal of effort to keep his mouth closed.

"So you're going to Gengxin and I'm going to Tananerl," he said instead. "I suppose the next time we'll meet will be--" Our wedding, he almost said, but the words practically choked him. There were some things he just did not want to think about.

Judging by the horrified look on Abi's face her thoughts had gone along the same lines. She very quickly changed the subject.

"When you see Ilaran, could you tell him I'm sorry? For..." She glanced back at her siblings. They looked suspicious. "...For everything?"

"You should tell him yourself," Irímé pointed out.

"I know, but when will I ever get the chance? It's not likely we'll ever see each other again. And anyway, do you really think he wants to see me again?"

She had a point. Behind them the train whistled. Shizuki leaned out of the window and waved for Irímé to hurry up.

"I'll tell him," Irímé said. "Try not to cause trouble in Gengxin."

Abi made a face. "Why does everyone keep telling me that? What do they think I'll do? I know how to behave properly at funerals."

Just don't raise the dead again, Irímé thought. He decided not to say it in front of her siblings. "I'll write and tell you what Tananerl's like."

Abi nodded. "And I'll write about the funerals. You'll see I won't cause any trouble."

Usually engaged couples would hug or kiss when about to be separated for a long time. Neither Abi nor Irímé were the sort to kiss anyone, and they hadn't hugged each other in public since they were children. (The hug after Abi turned into a phoenix didn't count since it wasn't really public and also caused by extreme stress.) So instead they bowed somewhat awkwardly and said goodbye.