[03: Of Tricks and Cooties]

Em & M

[03: Of Tricks and Cooties]

Have you ever had one of those days where you just want to stab someone with a pencil, but at the same time have a chocolate muffin? Because right now, just the smallest things were easily pissing me off and everyone seemed to have gotten the memo on the fact that approaching Avery White on her totally Bad Week would only lead to injuries and scarring emotional turmoil.

 I've also been craving for a chocolate muffin. Like, rather badly.

 Was my period coming soon or something? God, this sucked so much right now.

 After the sleep over with Emery and her confessing to me her lifelong crush on Mark, I haven't been able to get much sleep at all. It was probably the reason why I was always so easily irritated. I mean, as much as I loved M and I wanted us to be together and have a kick-ass wedding with glam, Emery was my best friend and I was going to betray her friendship...even though I really wanted to.

 Staring at the blank sheet in front of me (by blank, I meant it had a bunch of questions and none of them was answered), I started to get slightly annoyed again. It was bad enough that my love life was slowly going down the drain but my academics, too? Why wasn't my stupid brain working? I haven't even answered a single question and it's been thirty minutes since school ended. Today—and the past four days—I've been skipping the rides with Mark and Emery. I mean, I did promise her that I would support her because that's what best friends do. Though, I didn't think I'd be able to stomach the two of them being all shy and liking each other when I, too, was majorly crushing on Mark.

 I should just think of a plan to separate them. I mean, what if Emery and Mark are wrong for each other? As their very close friend, it was my duty to make them both happy. Therefore, if they were not meant to be together, I should insinuate a plan to keep it that way.

 But then, I'd feel guilty if I do succeed.

 But, this was Mark! Need I explain more?

 What a hole I dug myself in. And I really needed to get started with my calculus homework. Maybe a solution to my problem will surface while I did functions and dealt with parabolas. Plus, if I finished my homework now, I'd be free from school work for the rest of the weekend.

 After five minutes of staring at the foreign equations in front of me, I because even more frustrated. I couldn't figure out how to solve them!

 With a groan, I threw my pencil.

 Why did I have to find the value of x between negative five and fourteen in this overly complicated equation anyway? God, all this unnecessary was making my head hurt. I mean, it wasn't as if I was planning to be a mathematician later on in life. Why did I have to take calculus?

   I was ready to throw my papers and notes and books up in the air and yell "screw it" until someone placed a hand on my shoulder, which caused me to jump. Oh my god! Creeper alert! Ahhhhhh!!

 "I think this is yours," a voice spoke, dangling my pencil in front of me. I looked up to meet a familiar pair of hazel eyes. I automatically sat straight and fixed my eyes on him. Like last week, his whole get up still screamed lax with a hint of maverick.

 "You should fix up your uniform," I told him, grabbing my pen. "I mean, the VP's pretty cool. He'll probably let you slip. But if you cross path with the principal, you'd wish that you're in hell instead of being lectured by him for hours about the uniform policy and all that lovely stuff."

 He chuckled, pulling the chair in front of me as he took a seat. He sat tall, I noticed, because when he leaned forward towards me, his eyes were still not leveled with mine. I glared at him as he kept this really annoying (but really attractive smile—not that I was going to let him know that) on his lips.