13: a treasure hunt ✩

Start from the beginning

"So now we have to find out who took it?"

"No. No, I already know who did it."

"Who?" JJ asked, wishing that John B would just cut to the chase.

"Carter Rhodes," John B answered. "I remember seeing some old looking documents in his office when he fired me. Plus Addison, his wife, her family funds the archives. They literally sign these people's checks. Why would they narc?"

"Wait Rhodes? You mean to tell me that Emerson is involved in this?" JJ asked, his stomach twisting when he said her name.

"Well her dad is," John B shrugged. "He took some of the items that belonged to Denmark Tanny, including the original undoctored letter."

"Okay and?"

"Well one of us needs to go get it," John B said as he raised his eyebrows looking at his best friend.

Even though JJ was desperate to see Emerson again after their awkward parting he needed to keep up the facade that he hated her. "No. No, no. You do it."

"I can't. Her dad fired me and wouldn't let within ten feet of the house," John B reminded him.

"But dude it's Midsummers tonight, there's no way I'll be able to sneak into her dad's office. And I'm already in trouble with Peterkin- If I get caught-"

"You won't get caught."

"Fine, but owe me."

--☆--☆--☆--☆--☆--

Even with Midsummers only a couple hours away Emerson Rhodes couldn't find any motivation to get ready for what is supposed to be the party of the year. She laid out in her hammock trying to savor the last moments of peace before all the chaos began.

Her whole family were on an emergency mission to fix Hayden and Carter's suit after a coloring and size mixup. Addison of course had to go in order to oversee everything and make sure that no more mistakes were made. Emerson was honestly glad to have them gone, it gave her a minute to think without a million things getting in her way.

And of course the main topic running through her mind was a certain blond pogue who she had kissed. Emerson still couldn't wrap her head around it. JJ had kissed her and she kissed him back. And the worst part was she enjoyed the kiss.

She didn't know what to do. She is supposed to be Rafe Cameron's date to the party of the year in less than 5 hours, but all she could think about was JJ. 

"Psst," Emerson's eyebrows furrowed as she lifted her head from the hammock. Confusion took over as she looked around for the source of the whisper but found nothing. "Psst."

"Hello?" She called out as she fully sat up in the hammock. Emerson looked all around her yard but didn't see anything. Everything was in its spot just like it always was. Until she noticed that a bush at the edge of her yard had suddenly grown blond hair. 

She smiled to herself as she watched JJ lift his head up slowly only to freeze when his eyes locked with hers. She laughed, seeing a nervous look on his face.

"Oh hey..." He said standing up and putting his hand behind his neck.

"What are you doing here?" She asked, her voice soft and the smile still present on her face. She stood up from the hammock and walked towards JJ, but when she got closer the smile on her face fell. 

JJ glanced down, knowing what she was looking at. The bruises weren't there when she saw him yesterday. It would be impossible for her to not notice the bruises, but JJ wished she didn't have to see them.