Festival - Chapter 22

Jonathan's POV

Today is Friday and Jordan and I have one last game this weekend. This isn't the biggest game of the season but it's really meaningful to the people in the town I guess because the festival is tonight after the game. My dad got a job, or he's volunteering or something to be an assistant coach.

I don't know why but today feels like a really good day for me. It's a feeling I missed since I haven't felt that way in a while.

I've been scrolling through Instagram for a while, waiting for my alarm to go off. I woke up half an hour early but I didn't want to get out of my bed yet. I click on one of my old friends' stories, and I see a video of him and his friends at the movies.

I start laughing at seeing him being all stupid, but before I an do that he flips the camera and shows Eliza and Alex kissing. He flipped the camera again and showed his face as he's pretending to gag jokingly.

Well my good day lasted half an hour. I get pulled out of my thoughts by my alarm blasting. I groan and get up starting to get ready.

I get downstairs and my parents are talking about Morgan Edge and this other guy called John Henry, or John Irons, or something like that. I get in the kitchen and immediately they stop talking and they change the subject. They have been doing that a lot lately, they talk about things that seem serious but as soon as Jordan or I get into the room they change the subject.

"Hey Honey there's food on the stove." Mom says to me while packing her bags.

"Where are you going?" I ask. She's been really busy lately and even though I hate to admit it I really miss her.

"I'm going to investigate a little on what Morgan Edge is doing, with somebody that seems just as interested in the mines as I am." She says to me before saying goodbye to me and going upstairs to say goodbye to Jordan. I didn't really understand what she was saying but I just smiled at her.

"Didn't understand a thing she said" I said looking at my dad who was serving me. He just laughed. Jordan came downstairs and sat at the table after saying good morning to us.

We were all eating when dad coughed to get our attention. Me and Jordan looked at him waiting for him to continue.

"Okay so I know we really haven't talked about powers and just regular things in general. I just want to make sure you guys are doing okay and if you have questions or there's something weird going on with you or maybe you saw something that seemed odd, I want you to feel comfortable coming to me." He said looking between Jordan and I.

"Is there anything you guys want to talk about with me? It doesn't have to be about Superman or anything like that." He said with a small smile.

"Uhh, Sarah asked me to hangout with her later at the festival today, like just the two of us." Jordan said shyly. Dad was beaming and started to praise Jordan, which just caused him to get red, and me to start laughing. Once we stopped laughing they looked at me with a 'your turn' look.

"Nothing's happened to me lately." I said with a shrug.

"Come on, there has to be something!" Dad says with a welcoming expression making me feel like I'll disappoint him if I don't say anything.

"Uh fine. I made a new friend at school so I don't have to third wheel Jordan and Sarah anymore." I said mockingly. Dad looked happy that I said something, causing me to smile back at him.

"That's great Jon! What's their name?" He says, looking at me.

"His name is Liam, he's on the football team too." I said putting my dish away. Dad just nodded and smiled.