Chapter 1: Meeting the unknown patient

Rylee

The nurse informed me that an emergency patient was brought to our place just as I finished my second surgery on the patient.

Rubbing my hands with frustration, I half run and went outside for ambulance to arrive.
The doors of the vehicle were flung open. There was a man, probably around my age, with bloody wounds everywhere.

The paramedic shouted out details as I checked the patient for more injuries; "Male, in his 30s, GSW to the abdomen. Severe internal bleeding."

I asked them if there was a guardian with the patient. He showed me a tall, old man with wrinkles.

" What happened?"

" Found him on the ground, holding up the wound... blood drenching his shirt... Doctor please save him..." he whimpered.

"He will survive. We'll make sure of it." I assured him.

The man nodded

"Guys, prep an ER fast." I shouted as we wheeled the patient towards the operation theatre. Susan managed to record the patient's vitals.
The anesthesiologist was already there when we arrived.

"Inform me if his heart rate drops below 60." said I reported to the other doctor.

I scrubbed in for the surgery, my hands covered in latex, and extended mid-air.

'Oh boy, this could take a while.'

The nurses helped me with the blue coat and cap. I moved towards the patient. They had already tubed him. Pax nodded. The nurse kept soaking up the blood that oozed through the wound, trying to stem the flow and draw a clear path for me. We managed to quel the blood flow, but we needed to find the bullet fast; the patient's heart rate was dropping.

"Forceps." I called out.

The nurse handed me the surgical instrument. I dipped the forceps into the open wound and fished the bullet out of the abdomen, and placed it on the kidney dish.

I felt sleepy and dizzy.

"Rylee, take a rest. I'll patch it up." Dr. Estee suggested.

"Thanks, Estee. Good job, everyone. " I said, exiting the ER. I got out of the scrubs and dragged my feet to the other room; 'I just want to sleep in my bed.'

***

"Earth to Rylee," a doctor calls out. I look up . "Dude, the surgery's over. We patched him up. Good job!"

I smiled.

I spot the patient's bystander as we exit the resting room. The old man walked towards us. Dr. Pax spoke to the guardian."The surgery was successful. We'll shift him to a room in three days. He'll need to rest for a month. I heard that you placed a request for a VIP room."

"Yes, I have." said the man nodded. "I don't want anyone to hurt the boy." Pax nodded. "Call me or Dr. Rylee when he wakes up." He said, gesturing to me. I looked at the guardian and smiled.

"Hey, why don't you take the rest of the day off? You look tired." Pax looked worried.

"Hmm, maybe I will," I replied, massaging my neck.

'Finally, a day off... Sleep here I come.' I smile through my thoughts. Pax turned before he stepped out. "Oh yeah, check on the patient in room no.4 before you leave."

"Sure," I half grumbled.

A year ago, I didn't have access to the VIP section, nor was I allowed to talk to the patients there. However, one time, I was called in for an emergency case, a complicated one, by the way. It turned out to be the chairman's son. The big guy was pretty pleased that I could save his son. Since then, I have been given the option to choose to work, VIP section or otherwise. You could say that I am proud of myself, but it's more like a hobby to save people.

I took the nearest lift and pressed up. It opened to an area filled with plants and soothing music.The air wasn't filled with the typical detergent smell but rather a sweet and dewey fragrance. There were guards dressed in white suits and running shoes (in case the patient gets violent).

They passed me.

I greeted the staff with a smile and asked them about the patient in room 4. There were two nurses in white suits at the reception table. The woman named Paisley gave me the card.

"See you later, Paisley."

"You too."

There were two guards with rifles standing by the door.

I held up the card, and the man on the right opened the door for me.

The room had coffee brown walls with the scent of shea butter. In fact, each room had a different scent; vanilla, chocolate, and even marigold.

His IV drip is in place, and its vitals are normal. The gash on his face had been plastered. His face looks familiar, but I can't recall where I saw him. His name has been put down as Bob, probably another John Doe.

I stepped out of the room and into the elevator. The door opened, and I got out, heading towards the doctor's room to change.

There were only a few nurses there, in for a much needed break. I wave with a smile and enter the changing room. I switch into my shirt and black pants topped with a brown coat. My hair looked messy and undone, so I tied it in a ponytail. Slipping on my handbag, I headed to the parking lot, where the lot greets me with numerous cars.