chappie fourteen: everything sucks

a/n trying out a new format for chapters 🤌

Hours lingered on until the last second of a day, turned into weeks, and dragged on into months. Of what exactly? Well, our protagonist or you as the reader has made it a goal to avoid a certain someone or rather mostly everyone. Not that it was anybody's fault. Yona had nobody to blame but her internal thoughts and doubts.

Summer was approaching soon and exams were to be faced. During that time, Yona isolated herself to study all that she could cram in while she had the time. Other hours were busy babysitting her niece since her brother and sister-in-law were busy at work to keep up with the bills. This allowed Yona to focus solely on those priorities but after a while, her budding friendships were becoming more of a nuisance rather than a valuable part of life.

Teruhashi and Chiyo had tried reaching out to her, visiting her through break time. Surprisingly, Mera had even talked to her, but none of their efforts to have an actual conversation were successful. Yona was able to dodge their—Teruhashi and Chiyo, as Mera and Yona weren't close— persistent invitations to go out. It wasn't that Yona disliked them. Part of her always felt a twinge of guilt when she walked away from the pair, and yet the other was relieved to avoid social interaction. She didn't talk much to the guys either although they had greeted her every day.

It hadn't been long since she spoke with Toritsuka. A person her mind went to if she did want to get attention or interact with. It was easy because Reita did all the talking while also listening to any quiet murmurs or comments Yona had made. He was a good friend like that, until recently.

It wasn't news to Yona that Reita moved on from one girl to the next. She refused to give in to any negative thoughts or feelings she got when the purple haired medium flirted around, it was his usual antic, besides being annoying. His target was a big miss and fail, so the male dramatically slumped against his beloved friend.

Toritsuka sighed, "Why do I always get rejected?"

"Who knows? Let's go get some food." Yona stood up, readjusting her bag. She turned back to Reita, but he simply looked up at her with soft eyes. She ignored the sudden thump in her heart and turned away.

"Why don't you go out with me?" The question hit her heart rather than her ears. Her body froze from the arms reaching around her waist to pull her closer to a warmer one. Yona could feel Toritsuka's heartbeat against her back, it was rapid and for a mere second, she wondered if this rhythm would repeat for anyone else.

Speaking of thoughts, many were speeding through her mind. They were out on pause as Toritsuka spoke up once more, but she didn't hear as she was focused on his touch. His left hand grasped onto hers, intertwining them and bringing it to front of them. Her eyes stared, bewildered at how adorable the sight was and what was happening at the same time.