"Jade."  

                Jade finally looked at Reiner, he sat in a chair by the maps, the uninjured arm rested on the table, the one that Hamlin had bandaged was lying across his lap. "Sir?" She asked.

                "You're anxious." It wasn't a question. Jade let out a breath and shrugged, unsure how to answer the prince. He nodded his head only slightly and then yelled quite loudly, "Leeson!" A moment later a royal guard appeared.

                "Sir?" He asked standing at attention.

                "I would like you to escort Jade while she attends to her errands," Reiner stood up and walked to a chest that was on the shelf. The small key was in the lock and he simply turned it and pulled out a black velvet pouch. He spoke while he did, "You will see that her needs are met and then you will see that she is returned here without trouble." He looked at Jade and tossed her the pouch which she caught easily. Jade could hear the coins rubbing together, and it was surprisingly heavy. "That is your first payment as my sworn. You may spend it as you wish, but understand that while you work for me your everyday needs will be taken care of. I am acting under the assumption that you have things you need to take care of since everything has happened rather abruptly." Jade nodded, confirming his suspicions. "Excellent, when you return we will work out the details, take your time but be back for dinner."

                "Yes sir," Jade said and bowed slightly and Reiner rolled his eyes and headed for his bedchamber. "And sir?" He stopped and looked over his shoulder. "Phantom will remain with you while I am away."

                "As you see fit," he said simply and disappeared into his room. Jade looked at Leeson and guard looked her over with a short glance. Jade weighed the pouch in her hand. She knew it was too much money, but she had a feeling that if she tried to argue it would only make Reiner angry. He hadn't paid her more than he meant to, even though she wasn't a Protector, she was going to get paid like one.

                "Shall we go?" Leeson prompted, motioning to the open door.

                Jade lowered her chin to a short nod, "Yes." She looked at Phantom and at the cracked door of Reiner's bedroom. Stay with him, protect him.  Phantom dropped his head as if to bow it with understanding and went and sat by Reiner's door.

                Leeson informed a messenger outside in the hall that a guard would be needed to replace his station while he was away. She was impressed by how smoothly everything seemed to run behind the scenes of the palace. Everyone was at ease but attentive and things were done with precision and quickly. Leeson led the way to the stable, he said nothing as they walked but nodded to those he knew or who acknowledged him. They passed his replacement as they left the private quarters of the palace.

                "I presume you will need a horse?" Leeson asked as they stepped out into a small back courtyard that led to the stables. They had passed by the stairs that led down to kitchens on their way out of the palace. There was a short wall off to the right that ran along the length of the small courtyard until it reached the outer palace wall. There was a small wooden door that was closed but Jade could see hints of trees and vines on the other side, she assumed they were on the back end of the gardens. To the left and straight ahead were the stables and she could hear the barking of dogs.

                "Yes," Jade said.

                "Very well," when they reached the stables Leeson barked orders at one of the attendants who ran to fetch two horses. Jade couldn't help but admire the stables. Much like the palace the stonework was artful but strong. The pale stone curved up into a rounded roof that held different red colored stone and the floor was flat and carefully tiled with small stones that were placed artfully but in uniform. The line of dark wooden stalls with iron posts and handles spanned in each direction along one wall. Above each stall there was paned glass to let in the light. Across from the stalls at regular intervals there were large wooden doors that were kept open and tall narrow windows to let in more light. Iron lanterns hung by the doors and a wheelbarrow full of fresh straw sat untouched by one of the empty stalls.