Chapter 17: Be With Me

Start from the beginning

How can I expect him to remember what's at stake when I lose sight of it every time he touches me?

"I...I don't know, Ryan."

His smile fades. "Matt and Brad will probably want to come too if you're worried about people seeing us together."

"I don't want to make the headlines again," I say. "And we didn't talk about anything last night."

"No, we didn't."

❤️✨❤️✨❤️

Ryan

Not talking last night was probably a mistake. We were so consumed by the pleasure of exploring each other's bodies all night that we neglected the important conversations we needed to have. My desire for her is insatiable. I can't recall a time when I've wanted a woman this intensely; being in love seems to have amplified my libido exponentially. We couldn't keep our hands off each other. However, it feels like the moment of truth is looming over us.

I hope I've convinced Mac that we're worth taking a chance on because I don't know how I'll handle it if she rejects me. My heart feels vulnerable, a sensation that is unfamiliar and uncomfortable to me. I wonder if she truly understands the depth of my feelings for her and how much I want to be with her.

"I don't know how this relationship can work without us being seen together, without the risk of getting caught," she says, her gaze lowered. "And without me losing my job."

I gently lift her chin with my thumb and forefinger, meeting her eyes. "The question, Mac, is whether you want this to work out between us."

"Of course, I do," she replies. "But how can this possibly have a positive outcome? I mean, Blainesworth..."

"Yeah, he's not going to be happy about it."

"Ryan, I really don't want to jeopardize my job."

Fear grips me. Does that mean she doesn't even want to try? I understand the risks involved, considering her history. I comprehend her fear. But can't she see that I'm also scared? Yes, it won't be easy. Yes, our boss will be unhappy. But I'm prepared to face these challenges with her. I refuse to walk away from this.

"Listen, Mac," I say, gently brushing her hair off her forehead. "I know you're afraid—"

"Yes, I'm afraid," she interrupts. "Anyone could see us together. We were so caught up in the moment last night that I didn't even consider the possibility of someone spotting me leaving with you this morning. I didn't think at all. And all it takes is one photo of us together, Ryan, and my career could be over."

Her voice holds a touch of hysteria. I stroke her cheeks with my fingers, drawing her closer. I won't let her lose her job, but she's right about one thing.

Blainesworth will eventually find out about us. Trying to deceive our producer won't work. We need to be smart about this.

"Well," I pause for maximum impact. "What if we go straight to Blainesworth this morning and tell him about us?"

She looks at me as if I've gone mad. "Do you remember what he said to me when he saw the headline about us? He's going to fire me, Ryan. He'll ask me to leave because I couldn't keep my 'priorities' in order."

"He won't."

"That's what he—"

"He can't fire us," I assert firmly. "We haven't violated our contract, and we haven't done anything wrong. In fact, if we approach him this morning and honestly disclose our romantic relationship, he won't have any grounds to take action. We'll be acting with integrity, revealing the truth, and he'll have no choice but to accept it, reluctantly or not."