We can't trust you, Clara...

You can trust me! My mind insists, but it's too late.

He's with me for a reason. Right?

You will never have it for yourself!

True love. Do I believe in true love? Soulmates, sure. But true love is tricky in a world full of vampires and immortals.

Do I love him?

This one is my own thought. A sharp pain hits me when I realize that I thought this was decided a while ago. But we've fought a lot since then. I've doubted his trust and he's doubted my power. Can love fit between the cracks caused by flaws?

"Claramay."

I don't turn around. I don't want him to see me like this. Not right after he's learned a piece of my lies.

"Claramay," he tries again, "are you all right?"

"I should be asking you that," I mumble, but I'm sure he catches every word of it. "Please just leave me alone."

"I can't do that, my love."

I whip my head around. He's acknowledged me like this so many times, but I've never thought twice about it. Now that I'm doubting myself, it feels necessary to do the same for him.

"Please don't call me that," I whisper, looking back towards the pavement. "I killed your brother."

"You've done worse. I've done worse," he admits.

His words are lighter than they should be. It doesn't bode well for me that there's a ranking for my mistakes. He doesn't know the truth, I remind myself. The whole truth about it all. I just want to be free of all these lies.

"I'm fine," I state, wiping the tears from my eyes, "I just... don't understand."

My temperature flares and I worry that if he touches me, he'll forget about everything I've done and continue as we were. I don't want that. I want him to be angry with me.

"Claramay..."

It's not his voice. Well, it is, but not of this time. The soft tone is the exact one that made me fall in love with him so many years ago.

"I don't care about the cure," I say, "but you obviously do. Adalynn and I will be in Detroit if you need us—"

"You're not going anywhere," he insists, taking a step forward. "Not without me."

"And Elena?" I question him, watching his reaction carefully. "Your obsession with these hybrids is ruining any chance we have—"

"They're for our protection!" He argues, "You of all people should understand why we need them!"

"Do not hold what's happening with Adalynn over my head, Klaus!" I yell back.

"Fine! But that does not change the fact that you are unwell, Claramay," he says, his tone softening exponentially. "Please, just... let me help you."

"Getting my family as far away from this town as I possibly can is what's going to help me," I state.

He looks down, "What am I to you?"

"What?" I say.

He takes another step closer, but I don't move away, "I was ready to spend my immortal life at your side, Clara. Everything I had was yours and still you left."

"I never had your trust, Niklaus," I whisper. "The most important piece of you was never mine. At least, not in the end."

Klaus shakes his head, his voice rising by the second, "That's not fair!"

"You can't begin to understand how unfair it is, Nik!" I scream.

I can't look at him anymore. My feet carry me down the street now since the sidewalk has ended. This time, he follows behind me.

"Explain it to me then!"

"I can't," I decide. "I can't speak of it."

"Claramay," he tries, and I hear the bounding of footsteps as he hurries to catch up with me, "Claramay, just stop!"

He catches my wrist and I try to shake him off, but his grip only tightens. The thoughts that cross my mind put me on high alert and a flurry of electricity burns him. Still, he doesn't let go.

"I remember," he starts, calmer this time. I tug on his grasp again and he starts over. "I remember everything that happened 500 years ago. Every single second and I relive it almost every day."

His blue eyes stare into mine. I look up at him, reading the pain on his face like a forgotten book. It is this moment that makes me question everything.

Will the truth relieve his pain?

Or will it make it worse?

"If there is something I do not know," he continues, "then please. Enlighten me."

He lets go of me. Probably as a sign of good faith, but I don't move away from him either way.

"It's messy," I mutter, "and you might not want to hear it all."

He sighs, "Maybe. But I need to."

So, I tell him.

I tell him everything.

*******

Chapter 48: 9/6/21 -- 10:39 pm

Top Comment 👑 : This chapter is dedicated to Padi8888 for a hilarious comment about Klaus wearing the Klaroline ballgown. Holy crap how funny. Thank you for reading!! <3

You guys... I'm not sure if you remember what happens after this.......... But we're nearing the end

What's up with me not posting in forever and then only updating a tiny chapter? I'M SORRY

Quiz: Who did Klaus throw the piece of wood at? AND can anyone remember the line right after it?

Like and comment please! I absolutely love hearing your feedback!

- Mae