broken bones & broken hearts | oikawa t.

SUMMARY: At the end of the day, you realize that as best friends or lovers, Oikawa Tooru and you are never meant to be together.

PAIRING: Tooru Oikawa x fem!reader.

THEMES: ANGST- just angst, romance, childhood friends to lovers. [ONE-SHOT] [CUPID'S ARROW WRITING EVENT]

WORD COUNT: 5.7K (around 5744 words)

TAG'S AND TW'S: mental health issues, angst themes, breaking up, relationship issues, neglection, mentions of injuries & blood, somewhat suggestive content (sex is mentioned like once)

You should've known that falling in love with Oikawa was a clear mistake. It was written in harsh bold letters, a dreadful red that was anything but forgettable. Before becoming your lover, he was your friend. And you should've kept it at that.

But then again, you weren't the quickest at sensing danger; from pulling your hand away from the roaring flames. You lingered, and waited, didn't move until you felt the scorching heat of the fire on your delicate skin until you were burnt, the pain spreading throughout your body, like venom seeping into your veins.

You were his friend for years. You should've known how committed he was to volleyball, what extent he'd go for the sport. He poured his entire life, sweat, tears, and blood into it. Volleyball was his priority; but so were you. Or at least, that's what you tried to tell yourself.

But as volleyball began to consume his life, spreading like a wildfire throughout his mind, the Oikawa you knew began to change.

The beautiful and mesmerizing roses that adorned his soul began to rot and fall until all that was left were dozens of thorns, deadly and painful. Leaving you to cry over rotten petals. He would spend less and less time with you, postponing dates and forgetting important events. And suddenly, you weren't a priority in his life anymore.

Left you tugging at the other side of the rope, tugging with all your strength and willpower, only for him to drop the other end completely. Abandoned in static silence, with nothing but heartbreak and tears.

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

Tooru was never good at keeping promises.

I'll make it to tonight's date, I promise, he told you with a brief kiss before heading out.

He didn't make it. Left you sitting alone in a fancy restaurant, dressed up because you wanted to impress him tonight, only for him to never show up. You lost the count of how many times you checked your phone's clock that night, or how many times you called or sent a message. They all went unanswered.

''Where were you?'' you uttered once the lights flickered on. Sitting in the living room in the dark, you raised an eyebrow when the door swung open. His parents had been out for the weekend, and you had already informed yours that you would spend the night at your boyfriend's.