shiketsu summer camp ― 3.1

Monoma's face is still searing with heat by the time you're out of his sight but he lets out a breath of relief. And then he's frowning, stomach twisting as he realizes his mistake. He never denied it. Truth be told, he doesn't even know himself if he has a crush on you. Maybe? He sighs. Whenever he feels troubled, Monoma seeks out Kendo, and he decides to do so.

He's walking across the camp, having to ask Pony where the girl is before he finally finds her, sitting down with Momo Yaoyoyorzu, the two of them chatting friendly at the doorstep of a cabin.

"Hey," he nods in acknowledgement at Momo. "Can we talk? It's rather important.''

The ginger nodded in understanding, bidding goodbye to the other girl. Monoma began to walk away, expecting Kendo to follow along. He doesn't stop until he's reached a small area surrounded by trees, where he thinks- or at least hopes, the conversation won't be leaked to others.

''I'm having... some issues," he starts with, sitting down on the grass. Kendo raises an eyebrow. "And what might these issues be? Don't tell me you're planning to sabotage the Shiketsu campers- they're really nice!"

And the blonde laughs, shaking his head. He rests his chin on his palm, eyes wandering to the sky. It's getting late, he notes, as the baby blue sky slowly changes to an orange and purple hue.

"I think I like Y/N." And there's memories flashing before his eyes after the words leave his mouth. He thinks about how his heart stuttered and beat so loudly on the night you were going to attend Satoru's graduation, when he saw you at the cafe. Even with a tear-stained face, you left him breathless, there was no denying that.

And he thought of that day at the ice cream parlor after the science competition, and how your lips felt soft against his thumb when he brushed away the ice cream from your cheek. And how he really wanted to kiss you.

Before he could submerge himself into memories of the past, Kendo's loud snort snaps him out of it.

"Of course you do. I already know that. Your point is-?''

Monoma lets out a slightly offended gasp, pulling away from the ginger.

''What do you mean you already knew-!? I've never told you this before!" The girl lets out a tired sigh, shaking her head.

"You've never told me directly, that's true. But I see the way you look at Y/N. You talk about her all the time- and no, don't you dare deny it," and she's pointing a finger at his chest, giving him no space to defend himself. "I know. I know that my friend, Monoma Neito, is head over heels for Y/N. And I also know that if you don't do anything about it soon, you'll lose your chance. It's senior year, Monoma. Make the best of it, alright?" And the ginger's getting up, patting Monoma's head before walking away, leaving him alone between the swaying trees.

He's speechless, heart pounding in his chest as his stomach twists and curls. Monoma sighs, looking at the darkening sky in silence.

«────── « ⋅✠⋅ » ──────»

Monoma arrives at the campfire the next day sleep-deprived and restless. He stayed up thinking about Kendo's words, repeating them constantly in his head, trying to come to terms with his feelings. Throughout his life, he hadn't given crushes or romance much thought, except when he was with you. And now that he was forced to take in his reality, he wasn't sure what to do. But he shakes his head, groaning as he stretched his wrists. He'll think about it later. Right now, he needs to focus on finding you, since the second challenge was tomorrow, but it was to be announced today.

After taking a quick shower, brushing his teeth and getting dressed, Monoma bids goodbye to his bunkmates before heading out of the cabin and walking towards the cafeteria where he hopes he'll be able to find you since it's breakfast time.