Ch. 14: End Of The Line

Start from the beginning

"If you aren't gonna eat this, then I'll just..."

I swallow it down and hum happily as the bittersweet flavors explode in my throat. It also does well to distract me from the throbbing in my back and chest, which is a plus for me!

"How do you like these?" Kon gapes. "They're bitter as hell!"

"Exactly. That's what makes them so good." I smirk.

"Oh, you're one of those people."

I send a glare Brooklyn's way, but it goes unseen when she asks Ben what was wrong with caffeine and sugar. She talks about how the first thing she'll do getting home is to hug her expression machine, which is...actually, really sad. Mom doesn't even allow me and Ben to taste coffee, let alone have our own maker!

"You know, I've often described myself as a tall, hot drink." Kon comments.

We all scoff and grimace in disgust.

"Come on, man."

"Gross."

"You could never be coffee."

"I could be coffee..."

Yaz decides to jump in, something I'm exceedingly grateful for since I don't think so could hear Kon refer to himself as a beverage one more time.

"I cannot wait to be home. Once my ankle's better, it's back to training. And I guess finding a new corporate sponsor, since mine was Jurassic World. But you know..."

"It's gonna be weird for things to be normal again." Darius adds. "Like, are video games gonna seem boring now?"

He then asks Kon what the first thing he'll do when he gets home, to which he responds, "Depends on which wing of our mansion you're talking about. East wing is usually off limits, but Dad and Candy are away on business, so I guess I'll go downstairs to our bowling alley. The staff always lets me win. Life of a VIP."

The sad look on his face makes me frown in worry. Sure, he may have just bragged about him being rich enough to have a bowling alley in his house, but it concerns me that he seems so..."whatever" about it in the end. Something's off, but I don't ask as Sammy asks me and Ben what we've missed.

"Oh, let me guess..." Kon scoffs, making the worry in me evaporate instantly. "You can't wait to get home to your closet of dork pouches, and you can't wait to lock yourself up in your room away from the world."

Resist the urge to punch him, Blake. Resist!

"Haha, very funny." Ben grumbles.

"Seriously, Ben, you've had juice boxes for days! How much stuff can you fit in that thing?"

"One; lots. And two; obviously the first thing I'm gonna do when I get back is restock it."

This makes everyone snort and laugh, including me, despite the insulted feeling from Kon's comment.

"What about you, Blake?"

I force down the urge to glare at Kon, since he wasn't the one to turn the question to me, and shrug.

"I guess I'll have to use the money I've been saving for recording equipment to buy a new guitar. Though sleep will be the first thing I do, of course."

Everyone nods in agreement. It was clear we were all tired and needed rest after the traumatic week we just experienced, so sleep would definitely be everyone's number one priority.

Kon distracts everyone from the conversation by imitating a lightsaber with a flashlight, which we all laughed at when he dropped and hurt his foot. Me, especially, though I will definitely deny until my dying day that I snorted like a pig when I did.