16

Chapter 16

"Anak? Ash?" I heard my mother's voice coming from the door, knocking.

"It's open po, ma." I said, not too loud. Just enough for her to hear.

I was sitting in my swivel chair which is far from the door so I had a problem getting up and opening the door from my mother since I'm busy proofreading my work. I heard her open the door, so I assumed that she already entered.

I stopped what I was doing then faced her. "Why ma?"

"Your graduation is this sunday, right?" she said.

Oh, yeah. Two days ahead. I ranked second in all of the sections which makes me the salutatorian. Lucas ranked first. Tita was so proud of him when she saw him making his speech.

He was actually planning to surprise her. We were in his room that time. I was helping him— well, actually not really helping. Nanginginain lang doon at nakaupo sa gaming chair niya habang nanonood sa pc niya. Him on the other hand was beside me that time, making his speech.

We didn't notice tita was behind us. So, the surprise kinda failed, but at least she was surprised, right?

Okay, so enough with the reminiscing.

"Yes, ma. It's okay if you're not available—"

I was cut off. "No, I'm available." she said which surprised me. "H-Huh? Are you sure? Maybe you'll have agenda that day, it's always fine ma—"

"I canceled it. I told my secretary that I have a more important event on that day." she insisted.

Wow. I don't know how to feel. Blankly staring at her, I was still processing what she had said when she spoke again.

"Do you want to go to the mall with me and pick a dress you'll wear?" she offered. That made my eyes lip up, grinning. "Really?!" I asked again, sounding enthusiastic.

She chuckled. "Of course. I never had to do these things with you when you were younger. But, it's not too late right?"

I stood up and hugged her with full delight. "Yes!" I happily said like a kid. "I'll just change, ma." I told her then rushed to the bathroom to wash my face.

She was just smiling at me, she said that she would just wait for me downstairs.

Mabilis lang naman ako mag ayos. I just wore a simple dress and a white sneakers. I used a white scrunchie to tie my hair in a low ponytail. My curtain bangs were loose tho.

I turned off my computer then took my phone. I saw Lucas' messages.

@vlr.nthn: wtf I'm literally tearing up. I regretted writing 6 pages for this speech. 😭