7. The Journey Beckons

Once they'd covered half the distance from Saffron City to Lavender Town, Angel reined Rapidash. She attempted to hop off as normal, but her legs gave out and fell to the ground. It seemed the adrenalin rush was no more now that they were in relative safety. Angel couldn't even muster the energy to move onto her back. Instead, she lay on her right side, eyes focused on the small part of the starry sky she could see. The fact that she could even still breathe astonished her. This was the most useless her body had ever been.

Rapidash knelt beside her, and it was clear from her whinnies that she was excited at how far and fast she'd just run.

For twenty minutes, they lay like that. Angel knew the moment her body had recuperated enough from its trial, for her mind was able to focus on something other than the pain. It went to the person in the window, who looked and sounded just like Maya. She hadn't seen the person who spoke to her about the Raichu, and she knew that two people in the same town who sounded like someone from another town was highly unlikely. But she also knew that it could be her mind refused to accept Maya's passing.

She did not want to dwell on those thoughts, so her mind turned to Ebony. But she couldn't think of anything that would change what happened. Angel had no clue where Mally or Iggy were or the locations of any of the Team Rocket bases. There was no way she could get her beloved Pokémon back. A fact she would have to learn to accept.

A beep sounded, and she dug into her satchel to bring out her Pokénav. It was Elsa, but she couldn't talk. Not now. She squeezed her eyes shut and hoped her lack of desire to speak at the moment didn't destroy the friendship before it began.

After a few more seconds, the beeping stopped. The Pokénav was silent for about a minute longer, and then a text came in: Hey, there! If you're still around, I'd love it if you could come to the Galar section. Lyla and I are getting ready to make our big premiere, and we'd love it if you could be here. Oh! I just realized that I didn't get your name.

A part of her wanted to reply, but her hands shook too badly to even attempt to type a response. Maya's death. Ally's abandonment. Jenny's not-quite-betrayal. The Clefable. Seeing Maya. The Raichu and Rapidash. Hearing Maya. There was just so much, and it kept piling on.

She almost returned the Pokénav to her satchel but, at the last minute, decided to call her father on the secure line. After a few rings, he picked it up. "Where are you? We've been worried sick ever since we discovered that you left Blossomly. Why would you do that without telling us? Especially with your recent condition?"

Angel took a deep breath and dove straight into everything from the last few days. Well. Without mentioning her association with Team Rocket, that is.

After she finished, her dad was silent for a long while. "You chose a perfect time for your Journey. Reports of these Pokémon are popping up all over. I want to investigate and help them, if possible. Perhaps even see if I can make them normal again. When you reach Lavender Town, could you send those three to me? I will do what I can and then return them to you."

"How often should I send them to you?"

"To keep them out of evil hands, I'd say once a week or as soon as you have three on you. Carrying more would be risking them and yourself. And Alexandria? I know you're twenty-three, but you're exploring the world for the first time. Things and people aren't always what they seem. Be very careful who you trust and let in on your secrets."

Secrets? Did he know about her affiliation with Team Rocket? Angel swallowed before responding. "Pfft. You know me. I'm always careful."

"Uh-huh. So, you're saying the situations you find yourself in are Dreamer's fault?"