School

Sadie's POV

Silence blanketed my entire house. It was still early only 6:30 in the morning and school didn't start till 7:30, but I knew that it would be best to get out as soon as possible. The reason? My father would wake up soon, and immediately start drinking vodka as though it was water.

"Sadie," mumbled an extremely soft voice from the doorway of our room, making my entire body go stiff as a board. Turning I saw my three year old baby sister Bianca. Her small fist was rubbing at her confused chocolate brown eyes as one clutched a tattered, but well loved, lavender colored blanket. Bianca was wearing her favorite Minnie Mouse pajamas that she had gotten for Christmas, from our stepmom, Lucy. Lucy was really nice which confuses me since she ended up with my dad.

You see my dad had me and my sister Bianca with our real mother, who passed away due to lung cancer when I was just twelve today just barley marked the three year date from when she passed. My mom was still pregnant with Bianca when she died, but thanks to surgery and a lot of time in the hospital the doctors were able to save Bianca before it was to late. It certainly had not come without a cost however. Bianca had been born underweight and needing to eat through a feeding tube for more than four months before the doctors deemed formula safe for her. From what I could tell through pictures Bianca had gotten my moms  chocolate eyes while I had gotten her strikingly ginger hair. I wish I had gotten her eyes. Instead all I got was what made me a freak. One blue eye and one green eye.

But after my mom got sick all of the pressure fell onto atop of my father to take care of a newborn and a twelve year old girl. He didn't know what he was doing and started drinking to relieve some of the stress. But it was different back then it was only one or two beers every couple of days and Bianca and me had both been well taken care of before he had them. But the number started to grow and my father just kept on increasing it. The drinking also happened when things still needed to be done. Like Bianca needing a diaper change or me still needing to get picked up from school. So Lucy was sent to live with us. She made sure both me and Bianca were cared for and gave my father tips on reducing stress even though he never used any of them. Eventually my dad started to fall for Lucy. He made sure that she didn't see him drinking by doing it very early, very late, or when she was out of the house. Oh and he also made sure that whenever he punched me we were in private. But now him and Lucy were married and she helped make sure that Bianca and me had a relatively normal childhood. Well as normal as it could be anyways.

"What exactly are you doing up this early missy?" I questioned as I scooped her up, making her squirm guiltily.

"Daddy ept yellin but ever oke up. He said mwean things." She mumbled back to me, her brown eyes starting to fill with tears.

"Shh, Bianca," I soothed bouncing her slightly. "Daddy was just dreaming. He didn't mean any of those things."

Liar, came an annoying voice from the back of my head making me go tense. You keep telling yourself that he loved you. Just because your his blood doesn't mean he wants you as family. The only thing he'll ever love in life is a bottle of tequila.

"Shut up," I growled not realizing that I said it aloud. 

"Sadie who chu talkin to?" Asked my curious baby sister.

"No one, just myself. Now let's get you back to bed I have to get to school." I felt her sigh in defeat before leaning her head against my shoulder, clearly still exhausted. I quickly carried her back into our bedroom and laid her down in the old toddler bed that sat in the corner, and tucked her in. "Stay in bed till Lucy get's home okay. It's only for a little while." I added when I saw her open up her mouth to protest. "Daddy won't yell at you when she's around."

"Otay Sadie. Wove you."

I smiled and kissed her forehead. "I love you too sis," before I walked out the door and into the street. 

Briar Wood was a quiet little town. Not much to it. Just a library, a small bakery, a music shop, and a handful of houses and family owned business's and farms.

As I walked I would occasionally see people who went to my school walking there as well. The cross country team walked in a big group together, already heading in for a session in the weight room before school and practice. The same could also be said for the football team. The football team had a captain called Trevor Millian. One of the biggest jerks you could meet. He was basically the king of seniors and one of the most loaded high school students you ever meet. He was also a jerk about my eyes. I didn't retaliate though. The last time I tried I got a black eye, one of the first that wasn't from my father's wrath.

But there was one good thing about the football team my best friend Leo. Most people thought it was really weird that we were friends. A big muscular jock, who was best friends with the school freak. Leo was just barely sixteen and the quarter back on the high school football team. We'd been friends ever since kindergarten.

I remember our first interaction well. Me sitting at lunch with an ice cream I had saved up money to buy and him crying. So I went over and asked what's wrong. He said that the lunch lady wouldn't let him get ice cream because he didn't have money for it, even though a jerk in a 5th class had been the one to steal it. So I offered him some of my ice cream and both of us became besties.

What can I say. We were 5. Offer us sugar and we loved you.

Every girl in my class constantly giggled about how we were "in love" and that we should get married underneath the slide like them. But me and Leo never had anything romantic. More like us just needing somebody to vent and be a tiny bit of an asshole to when we were frustrated. But unlike most friends it never made us fight when we acted this way. Leo's dad was in the military so he understood what it was like to not have a very consistent or present father figure.

Pulling myself out of my thoughts I gave Leo a wave. He smiled and excused himself himself and joined me on my walk to the school, despite the protest of his team mates.

"Hey dork, you ready for school?"

I rolled my eyes at the nickname. "Oi watch the nicknames."

He smirked down at me. "Yeah well you know its true." I huffed and shoved his stomach.

Oh yeah did I mention Leo was absolutely huge? I mean the dude already pushed past 6 foot 4, and at this point was pushing 6 foot 5. I wasn't exactly small either, I stood about 5 foot 7 but still compared to Leo that made me look life a dwarf. Just then the bell rang signifying that we had about a minute to get to class. "See you later doofus," I exclaimed as I walked down the hall to my first class of the day, English.