Chapter 29: Girls Night In

Start from the beginning

"Okay, so first things first, tell me about the fight," Zola coaxed, turning on the couch to face me.

I leaned back, getting comfortable. "You have to promise you won't tell anyone."

"Tell anyone how you awesomely slapped that jerkwad in the face?" Zola laughed. "I cannot make that promise because I plan on singing your praises until I die."

"No, not that," I groaned. "You can't tell anyone what Zachary said because I hate it, especially Casimir. Or Azar, or Maya!"

Zola seemed a little shocked but she nodded. "Okay, I promise."

I sighed and turned the bottle in my hands around nervously. I explained to Zola exactly what happened including the conversation leading up to the slap. Her nostrils flared angrily when I got to the part about what Zachary said about my grandpa.

"And that is when I just couldn't hold it in anymore, I just slapped him. I just wanted him to shut his mouth," I said softly, my cheeks turning red.

"That sick son of a-" Zola cut herself off choking in anger. She jumped up from the couch, taking a large swig of her soda. "He is lucky a slap is all he got!"

"I said the same thing," I giggled weakly. I watched her pace around her living room, touched by her reaction, it felt good to tell somebody. "Shall we change topics?"

"I guess, but I reserve the right to the occasional angry outburst if I think about it too much."

"By all means," I nodded.

Zola sat back down, placing her soda on the side table. "So, you ready for a few movies and some food or...?"

"How about we pick out that outfit for your date tomorrow, then you can tell me when I get to meet this AJ character," I said, hefting myself off of the couch.

"Speaking of dates," Zola began, tiptoeing into her bedroom, she grabbed a few piles of clothing off the floor, shoving them into another pile by her closet. "I heard the craziest rumor, about Elizabeth going on a date with Casimir, your Casimir."

"He's not my Casimir," I protested, settling in on Zola's bed. Her bedspread was an explosion of colors and patterns, much like the rest of her room. "And yes, the rumors are true."

"No, not Casimir, I thought he was cool!" Zola cried out, grabbing at her head, I laughed at her comment.

"I think it might be a pity date," I muttered.

"Elizabeth Clarke does not get pity dates nor does she give them."

"Okay then, well, I think Casimir has a hard time saying no to people then," I grumbled, irritated. I did not want to be thinking about them on their date tonight. "I honestly don't care who he goes on a date with."

Zola was reaching into her closet and promptly turned to look at me with her hand on one hip. "Do not lie to me Massey, anyone is better than Elizabeth."

"Yeah, I guess," I relented. "Azar is going out with Madison as well, I think it's a double date."

"NO!" Zola screeched from inside the closet. "This is like my worst nightmare, next you'll tell me Maya is dating Zach."

"They would never!" I gasped. "Don't even give me that mental image."

"Well, I'm sorry," she sniffed. "You think you have a good grasp on a person and then they surprise you."

"What about AJ, how well do we know him?" I asked, trying to steer the conversation into better territory. I grabbed at Zola's favorite plush bear, a gift from her Great Grandmother. I hugged the large stuffed animal to my chest, before placing it next to me, like he was watching the fashion show. Zola stepped out of her closet with a smile on her face at the mention of AJ.