December 1931

Sybbie crept out of the nursery at 6:00am, and ran down the stairs, without making a sound. She unlocked the front doors with the large key that hung on a wooden dowel. She used both hands to heave it open, for it was extremely heavy, and it creaked ever so slightly.

The crisp air stung her bare face, feet, legs and hands. She was only in her nightgown. She didn't wear her slippers, and cringed when she began to walk out into the snow. Sybbie didn't dare go any farther than 4 or 5 steps away from the house.

She gazed up at the sky and smiled to herself. Pale orange and yellow streaks filled the sky. Soft, white snow covered the ground.

'What a wonderful Christmas morning', she thought to herself.

"Hello?" A voice whispered.

Sybbie's head snapped in the direction of the voice, but she quickly relaxed when she saw Mason.

"You came." Sybbie said happily.

"You thought I wouldn't keep my word?" He said mischievously.

"Of course not," She smiled, "Happy Christmas, Mason."

"Happy Christmas Sybbie." He smiled back, handing her a package wrapped in brown paper.

Sybbie blushed, took the present, and handed him one. She had wrapped it in elaborate gold and red sparkling paper, with a fancy white ribbon tied with careful fingers, into a bow.

They gazed at eachother for a moment, but it broke when they heard a noise from inside.

"I've got to go." Sybbie whispered, walking back towards the door.

"I'll see you soon?" He asked.

"I promise." And with that she closed the door.

Inside, Carson gave her an odd look.

"Miss?" He asked.

"Oh, this has been the best Christmas ever! Happy Christmas Mr.Carson." She said, walking away in a daze, huge smile plastered on her face, and her big blue eyes sparkling brightly.

Carson looked at her, puzzled. Sybbie Branson really was a mystery, just like her mother.