C H A P T E R E L E V E N

Start from the beginning

Omega looked at the tube the dragon had burrowed in and back at Fern. "But...isn't this your enhanced skill? Didn't you say you can reach any place?"

"I said most places." Fern corrected, and then placed both hands on the young girl's shoulders. "One of us has to stay with Hunter in case more dragons show. I can protect him from whatever comes my way." She then took Hunter's blaster from his hand and handed it to Omega. "Only use if you have to. Hey, look at me." Omega's eyes had averted away, so Fern hooked a finger under her chin and turned her head so she had her full attention. "You can do this, Omega. This is what being part of a squad is all about."

Omega was silent for a moment, and then her eyes changed as her determination took over. "Okay, I won't let you guys down." She then grabbed her flashlight and headed for the tube, giving Fern one last nod over her shoulder before lowering herself in.

—————————————————————

FERN'S POV

"Come on, Hunter," I urged quietly, lightly tapping his jawline. "It's time to wake up." I've checked the security of his oxygen mask six times since Omega left on her solo mission. Whether it was a good idea or not to have let her go on her own was a matter we, meaning me and Hunter, could discuss later... My priority now was to protect my friend.

"That was a close call." I breathed, chuckling softly. "Reminds me of our mission on Stewjon. When the Separatists tossed in that poisonous gas and we were ordered to evacuate the senators? I had to run back in to make a final round, and you had to come drag me out." I found myself smiling as my right hand slipped into his, resting them on his chest, which rose and deflated steadily. "You've saved me countless times. One day, I'll be able to repay you."

I was reaching my left hand up to adjust his red bandana when Hunter's eyes fluttered open. Then, he began gasping and panting for air. I supported his upper body upright, still gripping his hand. "It's alright, Hunter. I'm here. Breathe. Deep breaths. That's it."

"Fern?" Hunter's eyes widened when he finally noticed my company. "Omega." His head whipped to the left, expecting to see her, and then panicked when he was mistaken. "Omega!"

"Easy, easy, Hunter." I detained him by pushing down on his shoulders. "Calm down."

"Where is she?"

"She's...down in the dragon's lair retrieving the part."

"What?!" His voice growled. "You let her go down there by herself?!"

"Boy, didn't you recover quickly?" I mumbled, dropping my hands into my lap as I sank on top of my lap. "She's fine. You'll see. You should have a little bit more faith in her. She may be a half-pint, but she's got guts. I think all that mimicking she's been doing of you has paid off." I snickered.

Hunter only stared at me. After helping him up to feet, we approached the mouth of the tunnel. "Omega!" he called. There was no reply, which, if I am being truthful, worried me.

"Omega!"

"I'm coming!" Her voice traveled through to our ears, and I sighed out of relief. The moment she poked her head above the surface, Hunter reached down and hoisted her over the rock-wall. He started examining her for injuries. "Are you okay?" His tone was full of genuine concern for the kid. "Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine." Omega assured. "The mission was to retrieve the capacitor, and I tracked the dragon. Just like you did."

"Wait, is that my blaster?" He reclaimed his weapon. He gave me a side glance.

"Don't worry. I didn't have to use it." Omega smiled to Hunter and then at me. "Here's your part back, Fern." She handed the capacitor to me. I had to admit, I was impressed. Giving her a wink, I patted the top of her head. "Not bad, Half-Pint."

Hunter remained silent, most likely stunned at the young girl's achievement. I elbowed him while clearing my throat, indicating he should congratulate her as well. 

"Good job." he stuttered.

Once we returned to the ship, I wasted no time in securing the ship part for a second time, and finally the Marauder was soaring back into space. "Systems are back and running." Tech confirmed.

"You're welcome," I shrugged sarcastically and leaned back into the chair behind Tech with my hands tucked behind my head.

"It's about time." Wrecker said as he joined the party.

"And what have you been up to?" Echo questioned. Instead of responding, Wrecker knelt down between me and Omega and held out both of his hands. "Hey, you two," he smiled. "Come with me. Cover your eyes." Omega obeyed, taking one of the muscular clone's hand and cupping her eyes with her other. I hesitated at first, but the big oaf looked really excited, so I obliged and blindfolded myself with my palm. We were led towards the rear of the ship. I could detect Hunter, Echo, and Tech following behind. Eventually, we were stopped in our tracks.

"Okay, open them." Wrecker instructed.

What was before me and Omega when we unveiled our eyes, was the gunner's mount, but it has been redecorated. Through the makeshift curtain, bright lights were strung along the metal ceiling panels. Omega approached first and climbed up the step ladder and pulled aside the blanket, revealing a simple, clean sleep space, just the right size for two individuals...

"It's your own room." Wrecker exclaimed. "I thought, you know, you girls would like one."

In my peripheral vision, I caught Hunter nodding me along to check it out myself. I smiled and joined the young girl in our elevated space, my legs dangling over the ledge. The floor had been padded down for comfort, and even the hand-rails had been child-proofed. In the corner of the wall and window, sat the red and black Tooka doll Omega had me salvage when we were escaping Kamino. Her round, brown irises were glistening.

"Well, what do you think?" Wrecker asked nervously. "I thought this place could feel more like a home since you, Fern, have been skeptical of us for a long time, and you, Omega, are still new to being—"

"It's perfect." Omega and I exclaimed together, and I laughed while the former said, "Thank you, Wrecker."

"Who knew you were so artistic?" I added with a teasing scrunch of my nose.

"Oh, uh, it was nothing." Wrecker chuckled, but he definitely couldn't hide that blushing fast enough. Omega plopped herself down across from me, cradling the Tooka doll in her arms and stroking its back. "I never had my own room before." she sighed in utter content.

"You and me both, Half-Pint." I breathed, giving our room one last gander.

"Well, you both are part of this squad now, too." Hunter stepped forward, the light etched out his half-face skull tattoo and causing his dark eyes to almost twinkle. My own eyes softened. My heart skipped a beat...

What I had longed for what seemed like an eternity, had finally became a reality...