ch3

"Alright," Massimo stood up, smiling once more, "Who wants some gelato?"

"Ohh ohh me!" You jump out of your chair, rushing for the front door as fast as possible. Immediately Alberto perks up, sensing a change of energy in the room, sprinting for the door as well. Massimo chuckles, following after the both of you to lock the door as soon as you were in the garden.

"WOAH, you guys have a treehouse!?" You look up at the large tree. It had boards pinned to the trunk crudely, as if it were a flooring, and you saw fairy lights strung up around the branches. 'It must look so pretty at night'.

Alberto slings an arm over your shoulders, looking up at the treehouse as well, "Yeah! I remember when I first got here and Giulia let us sleep there, under the fi- er- stars! HEY, we should sleep there sometime!"

You nodded enthusiastically, unaware of the concerned glance Massimo shot you both. "Come on you two, you can talk over some delightful dairy treats, mm?"

Alberto leaped away from you, running through the garden gates as fast as the speed of light. Massimo followed, and you left the garden after them. As soon as you walked by the fence onto the docks, the sound of waves splashing against the concrete hit your ears. You were facing the center of town, and knew the ocean was almost right behind you.

You freeze up, eyes going wide.

Part of you wanted to turn around and be brave, but the other told you to freeze where you are, where it can't hurt you.

Alberto turns around, seemingly unaware of your panic at the moment, and walks over, putting am arm around your shoulder blades, holding you close to his side as he began to strut further into town. "So what flavours do you like? I like Stracciatella, personally, but hey I'll have whatever you're having.

As you both continued walking, your felt your anxiety ebb away. You would usually be frightened of the fountain in the middle, but you'd rather deal with that than the ocean. Nevertheless you made sure to keep a wide berth from it. Side-eyeing Alberto, you're fairly sure he doesn't even realise that he just saved you from a panic attack.

"I- I've never really tried any before," you reply, "Is it like ice cream?"

The boy looks at you, confused, "What the heck is ice cream-"

"-They're similar but not the same," Massimo interjects, laughing nervously, "He is only joking." He handed some money to his son and smiled, "Grab me some Noce Di Cocco, will you?"

"Sure thing," Alberto smiles back, dragging you into the store with him. It was small and crammed, yet homey and not at all claustrophobic. Behind the till was a kind older gentleman with a salt-and-pepper beard. "Paolo, some of your finest Stracciatella please!"

"And for your lady-friend?" The man smirks, already spooning some of the gelato into a tub for your new friend.

"I've never had gelato before," you shrug, "What would you recommend?"

He regards you with a thoughtful look before pulling out a new tub and spooning out some of the beige dessert. "Tiramisù perhaps? Tell me how you like it," Paolo handed you the tub, and stuck in a tiny red plastic spoon.

You took the spoon out and scooped up some before putting it in your mouth. It was similar to ice cream but not at the same time, just like Massimo said, it seemed more smooth in texture and the flavour was seriously intense. A smile graces your lips, "Mmm!"

Alberto leans over with his orange spoon and takes some of your gelato, popping it into his mouth too. "'S good! Here," the boy held his own tub out for you to try, and you did. It was just as delicious as your own.

Paolo watched you both discuss his food with a warm grin, before pulling out another tub, "Massimo wants his usual?"

Alberto only nods, gorging himself on your cold confection. You swat him away in mock-anger before sneaking one of your arms under his and grabbing a spoonful of his. The brunette bursts out in laughter, "Hey!"

It took a little longer than usual for you and Alberto to leave the store. You both left with only one tub, of Noce Di Cocco, since you had both eaten your own before you could even set foot out the shop. Massimo rolls his eyes, taking the small tub into his large hand. "Come, it's her first day, we should show her around some more."

"Well, if you insist." You jest.