Chapter 7

"Take it all down."

"What?"

"You heard me. Take it all down. Now."

"But-" I began to argue

"Okay." Maxon said

"You have two hours." Clarkson said and walked away

"I told you, America."

"You're not actually going to have the decorations taken down, are you?"

"I have to."

"Maxon!"

"America. I warned you of this."

"Yeah and you gave me the impression that you didn't care what he said. Christmas is tomorrow and we don't even have a Christmas tree."

"I know-"

"Will we ever be able to decorate? Will our kids even get the opportunity to put the star on top of the tree? Or will you be 30 years old and still refuse to go against your father's instructions?" Maxon grabbed my arm and pulled me into an empty room,

"He. Canes. Me."

"I know that."

"But what you don't know is how it affects me. Not just physically. Mentally. I fear my father." He started to pace

"And I don't."

"Well you should start because it isn't fair for me to get hurt every time your stubbornness comes out."

"Stand up to him."

"I'VE TRIED, AMERICA!" He ran both hands through his hair, "Oh my god, I've tried."

"Not hard enough."

"Okay, stop acting like you are so much better than I am. Just because you don't face consequences doesn't mean you don't do anything wrong. Because you do. You do a lot of things wrong but I would never let him lay a finger on you so I let him do it to me instead. I pay for every wrong move or wrong comment you make and you remain untouched as if nothing ever happened." He made wild gestures as he spoke, reinforcing his aggravation and dwindling patience, "And stop insisting that its so easy to disobey my father because, while it may be for you, its sure as hell not for me. You don't know what it's like to be dragged into his office and have him send the guards away. And then be torn down because I'm so in love with you and he hates that. He tells me how disappointed and disgusted he is. And then, after he tears me down, he canes me. You don't know what it's like. You don't know what it's like to be humiliated in front of all of the advisors because I have a different opinion than him. To be told that I will never be a successful king." His voice broke, "You don't know what it is like and you never will."

The alarm began to blare

"Great. Exactly what I needed right now. Let's go." He grabbed my arm and pulled me over towards a wall that swung open when he pushed on it. He led me through it and slammed the door behind us. We ran down the stairs and into the royal safe room. When we got there he let go of my hand and walked away without a word.

"How are the Christmas decorations going?" Celeste asked with a smug look, "The king has been complaining about it all morning."

"I really don't care." I brushed her off and sat down

"Why do you insist on making life more difficult for yourself?" Kriss asked me

"I have a different way of doing things that don't make some people happy." I said without looking at her

"I can see that."

"I'd rather not talk right now, if you don't mind."

"I'll take that as you're not having a great day." Elise came over and sat down

"Maybe you're not going to win after all." Kriss said

"I'm really not in the mood for this right now." I said loudly

"Looks like Maxon could use some company." Celeste said and got up

"By all means, go ahead."

"It's starting to seem like this is all going to crash and burn around you." Elise said calmly

"Yes, thank you, Elise, for that very helpful observation."

I looked over and saw Celeste sit next to Maxon and he put his arm around her. I couldn't pull my gaze away. Afraid of if I looked away something more would happen.

Celeste noticed me looking and kissed his cheek. She glanced over at me with a smug smile. I moved my gaze to maxon and waited until I caught his eye to reach up to my ear. He didn't do anything but look away.

Great.