Chapter Eight: Mandrakes and Howler

The next morning, Violet and Victoria woke up, got themselves prepared to face the first day back to classes, and went down to the Great Hall. The enchanted ceiling was gray to reflect the cloudy sky outside and steaming hot porridge and kedgeree, kippers, eggs and soldiers, and baskets of toasted crumpets with butter, warm spiced pumpkin juice, and fresh fruit were on offer for breakfast at every table. "Violet, look who's still here at the Gryffindor table and Hogwarts." Tori pointed out to her best friend immediately, understanding how anxious Violet still was.

Violet looked over to where Harry and Ron were just sitting down, although Hermione seemed hell-bent on ignoring their presence for the time being. Violet could understand, at least a little why Hermione was mad at them. Violet was mostly just relieved that Harry did not get expelled, though it was probably partially down to him being so famous anyway. Still, as his sister, Violet wasn't going to be going easy on Harry for going along in that flying car, not until she was fully convinced he'd learned his lesson.

The four Hogwarts Heads of Houses had already handed out the new timetables to each student of the houses they were in charge of. As a second year Slytherin, Violet was going to be sharing even more classes with the Gryffindors (Transfiguration, Potions, Herbology, and Defence Against the Dark Arts), and at least a couple with the Ravenclaws (Charms and Astronomy). Only in History of Magic would second year Slytherins be placed with the second year Hufflepuffs. Things started out quietly enough, but as soon as the owls came fluttering into the Great Hall with the papers and letters to Hogwarts students from their families (Violet was just about to read the letter Emily sent her), when Seamus Finnegan took it upon himself to announce for everyone to hear, "Look everyone! Ron Weasley's got himself a howler!"

"Oh dear!" Lavender suddenly said sitting next to Parvati Patil, "That's even worse than getting broomed when you're back home for something you've done wrong. Get a howler and everyone at school is going to hear all about it!"

"Like I don't even know! I already know it came from Mum and she can get scary like you have no idea, just murder me Harry, end my misery please!" Ron pleaded.

"For Merlin's sake Ronald, pull yourself together!" Percy said harshly. "You were the only Weasley who risked breaking the International Statute of Secrecy yesterday, which you know perfectly well is a serious offense, and after you and Fred and George previously flew the car all the way to Surrey in the dead of night to rescue Harry! There's no way out of it Ron, you need to straighten yourself out and face the music, I'm afraid."

Nobody else said anything either in Percy's or Ron's defence, but Neville Longbottom did offer up this piece of advice, "Go on Ron, the sooner you get it over with it is always better. I mean it still sucks yeah, but it will only be a hundred times worse if you try to ignore the howler. I know, I got one from my Gran once. It was horrible!" Neville shuddered, his own howler still brutally fresh in his memory.

"Thanks Neville." Ron said, not sounding particularly appreciative at the moment. Percy frowned in disapproval. Ron had barely broken the wax seal on the bright red envelope when a explosive sound erupted and resounded around the Great Hall like Mrs. Weasley's voice, screaming "RONALD BILIUS WEASLEY!" amplified a hundredfold, and she wasn't going to mince any words, that much was already clear.

"YOU HAVE RISKED THE EXPOSURE OF OUR WORLD AND ITS' CONTINUING EXISTENCE! YOU ARE JUST ONE MORE MISSTEP AWAY FROM HAVING ME COME DOWN TO HOGWARTS PERSONALLY TO BRING YOU STRAIGHT BACK HOME LIKE A SMALL CHILD! HOW DARE YOU STEAL THAT CAR! HOW DARE YOU SO RECKLESSLY PUT HARRY'S LIFE AND YOUR OWN IN DANGER YET AGAIN! DON'T EVEN IMAGINE I'M NOT TALLYING UP EVERY TRANSGRESSION YOUNG MAN! IT'S ASTOUNDING THAT YOU WEREN'T EXPELLED.

JUST WAIT UNTIL I GET A HOLD OF YOU, I SUPPOSE YOU DIDN'T EVEN STOP TO THINK ABOUT YOUR FATHER AND I NOW DID YOU? I SUPPOSE YOU THINK IT WAS EASY FOR US TO FIND A WAY BACK HOME, JUST A SNAP OF OUR FINGERS AND WE'VE DISAPPARATED? OH NO SIR! THE RIGHT PRETTY RUN ABOUT MUGGLE LONDON WE HAD TO DO JUST TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR TRANSPORT! TO TRY TO FIND ANY ASSISTANCE AMONGST MUGGLES AND WIZARDS, COMPLETE STRANGERS CONCERNING THAT! YOUR FATHER IS NOW FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK, AND IF HE WINDS UP OUT OF A JOB, IT'S GOING TO BE NO ONE'S FAULT BUT YOURS!