Chapter 42 (*)

Depuis le début

"Did you ever consider the fact that you flirting with someone else doesn't automatically mean I want to fuck you, but that it makes me insecure?"

I knew she was angry by the way she was cursing. She only ever used the word 'fuck' during sex, otherwise always called it 'having sex' or 'sleeping together'. I let out a breath and frowned, "You're insecure?"

Violet cleared her throat, "Let's see. You asked me to be your girlfriend tonight, I said yes. Later, I find out that Steph is the only other person you've ever had feelings for, a tiny detail you never told me. And then you're flirting with her."

It wasn't an answer to my question and I licked my lips as I frowned, "Yeah."

She clenched her jaw, clearly losing her patience with me, "Think for a second. Reverse the roles. How oblivious are you?"

"I was only teasing!" I exclaimed.

"You took it too far!" Her voice jumped up a few octaves as she glared at me and I shrugged, "Well, I'm sorry! I'm an idiot!"

She nodded in agreement and I rolled my eyes, "Look, I'm sorry, okay? I don't... I'm new to this!"

Violet huffed, "Don't give me that. That's not being new to a relationship, that's being a decent human being. And you were being an asshole."

"You're right, I was. And I'm sorry."

"Okay."

"Okay!" I spat in frustration, "Fucking hell."

We were quietly glaring at one another in the hallway, Violet still having her arms crossed in front of her chest. It was a classic closed-off position, one that she only took when she felt uncomfortable. I had noticed it when I brought her to the mansion for the first time, I had noticed it when I witnessed her during her nightmare, and I had noticed it when she told me about the hysterectomy.

Violet let out a breath, "I close off when I'm angry." She muttered, and I looked at her, waiting for her to continue. I was about to answer something sarcastic, but decided to keep my mouth shut.

She dropped her arms down, fiddling with her fingers, "I know you expected a different reaction, but that's just what I'm like when I'm pissed. I walk away, I remove myself from the situation. I avoid confrontation at all costs, you know that."

"I get it. I went about this the wrong way."

The mood shifted between us, and she nibbled her lower lip. "I'm sorry for yelling."

"Why are you apologizing?" I frowned while shaking my head, "You didn't do anything."

Violet shrugged, "I yelled."

"As you should, I was being a dick."

"But you didn't mean it." She retorted.

I rolled my eyes, "Petal, you don't have to apologize. It was a misunderstanding. I took it too far, you were right. And I'm sorry. I thought it would be funny to make you jealous, but I never meant for you to feel self-conscious. The opposite, really."

She shot me a small smile, "Okay." She sighed.

"Did we just have our first fight?" I asked with a smirk and Violet let out a chuckle, "I guess."

It finally felt light enough between us for me to approach her, and she dropped her arms to her side when I was in front of her, bringing my hands up to her shoulders before moving one to cup her face, "You know I only want you, right? You're my girlfriend, I've never had a girlfriend."

She looked unsure for a moment before nodding, "I know."

"Hmm." I hummed in approval, dipping my head to kiss her lips. She kissed me back, and I closed my eyes as our lips stayed connected.