First Meeting

As gently as possible, I tapped a cotton ball with ointment unto a rather large scrape wound on a soldiers arm when the guy suddenly hissed and slapped my hand away, the cotton ball falling to the ground. "Jeez, that hurts! Where did you even learn this stuff?" Trying not to look overly pissed in order to avoid another slap, I got up and prepared a fresh, clean cotton ball. "You better be careful, or you might end up needing treatment yourself boy!" Without replying, I grabbed the guys arm to continue the treatment.

Thanks to my status as a hostage that refuses to help with research rather than a hydra member, my dear new 'colleagues' always set me up with the more annoying patients. So far I had simply endured the patients shenanigans, since the annoying ones were usually hydra members and I feared they might still beat me up for misbehaving despite my status as a hostage. This however had taken a huge toll on my patience and after several slips of my tongue, I learned that I wouldn't be randomly beaten up just like that. So despite trying to keep a low as possible profile, I didn't hesitate when my current patient slapped my hand away again and started complaining that my movements were worse than his grandmothers. Pissed of, I grabbed his hand and applied a bit of pressure on the scratch to shut the guy up. "Listen", I started while the guy was hissing in pain, " I told you this was gonna hurt. This is why your standard uniform has long sleeves. You have this scratch thanks to your own stupidity. Some of your colleagues are still waiting for treatment, so stop whining like a baby and don't waste my time." I let go of the the now more serious and slightly annoyed soldier to get another clean cotton ball and then quickly finished the job.

When I let go of the soldiers arm, he didn't get up immediately. Instead, he stared at me for a few seconds before saying, "Aren't you that kidnapped guy? You should be careful. You might be somewhat safe for now, but you are always threading on thin ice. You see, some of of the other agents and soldiers throw punches first and think later." Then he got up and left. I was a bit confused for a moment because his words sounded almost like a genuine warning, though it was most definitely meant as a threat. I decided to ignore it and turned to stitch some other waiting soldier up somewhere, wondering what kind of mission they had been on that so many had been hurt.

From what I had been able to pick up, this hydra organisation usually preferred to stay in the shadows. A lot of the people I treated were actually other unfortunate souls like me rather than soldiers, since they were usually well organised and thus didn't get hurt, unlike their victims. Sadly, I never got to learn much about the victims and their reason for being here. In general I wasn't told very much aside from where certain medical supply was kept and sometimes some chunks of medical information that I was only told so i could perform my duty better. Everything I knew about the missions, this place and the purpose of all this, I picked up by overhearing others in the canteen.

Originally I had hoped that helping out would give me a chance to gather knowledge and maybe escape, but after several weeks here, the results of that plan were basically non existent. I didn't get to walk around the building too much, most areas were guarded and I wasn't allowed to enter them. The room I received also wasn't very interesting. It also had no windows, but it had a small closet with a bunch of uniform like outfits, a bed, hygiene supplies and a few standard medical books that I had already read during university. The only thing I could do here was medical work and cleaning the instruments over and over again, along eating in the canteen and small workouts within the few spots I was actually allowed to be in.

At least I wasn't harassed as much as I had feared. Apart from my co-workers always giving me the annoying patients and sending me to fetch things for them constantly even when I was busy with something else. So as we finally finished up the last few returning members, I joined the rest of the medics for lunch. As I stepped into the canteen, I once again hoped to catch a glimpse of Dr. Akimov. As always since the day he agreed to help with the experiments, he wasn't there. I hadn't seen him even once. I knew he was still alive, since I was still breathing, but that was about it. I also never heard anything mentioned about the experiments and how they were going. It also didn't seem like the medics I worked with knew much.