The End

Faster.

I ran down one of the many familiar hallways. I could already hear the sound of guns being fired.

Faster!

My lungs burned like hell, but when the light of a door came into view, I sped up even more. I had been waiting for this moment for three years. The lack of strength remaining in my body wouldn't stop me today. Nothing, absolutely nothing, and most certainly not the few remaining Hydra researchers running after me, could stop me from getting through that door.

Only a few meters left!

After years of being locked up i would finally breath freash air and get a look at the sky.

10 steps!

No matter the cost. Today I would escape. Even if my Chance to survive this wasn't all that great.

Only 3 more steps!

Wether I lwould live or die didn't matter. I would breath freely.

My hands reached for the cold metal of the door.

As I pushed the heavy door aside and felt the sun fall on my skin, I felt a long lost warm feeling of relief wash through my body. I would finally be free. For a moment an image of our last meeting flashed in my mind, and once again I wondered if he would be there. Then the blinding light of the sun reached my eyes and erased all tought. Slowing down, I looked up at the sky and stretched my arms towards the heavens. Experiencing a feeling of peace for the first time in years, I bathed in the sunlight, when suddenly an explosion going off close knocked me from my feet and out of my victory celebration.

Stunned and confused by the abrupt interuption, i became aware of my surroundings again as i stumbled to my feet. Two Hydra soldiers ran past me firing ahead, only to be hit and killed with an arrow to the throat a few steps later. Searching for the one responsible, I made eyecontact with a man armed with a bow aiming at me. I felt my heart hammering away inside my chest, fueled by the adrenaline of impending death, when the guy lowered his bow to then aim at somebody else. With a confused stare i realized that I would be spared and should find a place to safely wait till this battle was over. The Hydra base behind me was in the middle of nowhere, so taking off into the woods would likely just end up in me starving to death. My best bet was finding a safe place and waiting until the battle was over, so i could beg the avengers to have mercy and take me away from here later.

Looking around, my eyes landed on a halfway destoyed tank. A large stone had hitted it from above, making it useless for combat, but thanks to a crack on the side I could see that there was enough apce inside it to fit a person. As fast as my exhausted legs could, I ran towards it. After attempting to squeeze myself through the way to small crack, I started climbing up towards the hatch door on the top. Nervously looking around to see if another grenade was coming my way from somewhere, I freezed when my eyes landed on him.

He is here.

I couldn't believe it. Staring at him from afar, i saw the sun reflecting off of the metal of his arm.

He is really here!

I felt my hands letting go of the metal of the tank and quickly after, my feet hit the ground and i was running as fast as i could once more.

I had known that there was a chance he would be here, but after all that had happened, I judged it so unlikely that i hadn't dared to hope.

He was fighting off a bunch of Hydra soldiers not far away while i sprinted across the field.

I could see that he had succesfullly finished off most of the Hydra men around him while i jumped over a corpse and some rubble. I was almost there.

I breathed in.

Then, I yelled, with all had: "JAMES!"

I saw him turn his head around.

I felt a smile appearing across my face.

Then, I felt my feet leave the ground and my hands land on it instead as i heard a giant bang behind me. The noise was ringing in my ears as i tried to use my arms to get back up to continue my run, but one of my arms could no longer support the weight for some reason. Desperate, I tried to get on my knees to then stand up, but they gave out under me instantly. Confused, I looked down at my body just to see dozens of red spots appear on my dirty torn shirt. As i watched the spots grow, I slowly sarted to feel pain spread throughout my body. Loosing the strength to hold up my head, I sank into the ground, now staring up at the blue sky before it was slowly consumed by darkness.

He is actually here was my last thought as the last bit of blue vanished from my vision.