PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE. LADY BY THE SEA
THE START OF SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL

 LADY BY THE SEATHE START OF SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL

IN THE SPOT WHERE HER HEART should be laid an organ stricken with pain. She had it coming and there was no one to blame other than herself. Perhaps she had been too carefree and open which made her poor heart vulnerable to dangerously charming boys. Or maybe it can be boiled down to the simple fact that she's still just a teenager who believes that true love exists in a tumultuous world like high school. Whatever the reason for why she left her heart out in the open, it doesn't change the fact that Lindy Kersey is utterly heartbroken over a boy with who she didn't even have a relationship with. And for a girl who others claimed felt too much, she felt nothing as she laid on her bed staring mindlessly at the high ceilings of her room. 

      Feeling her heartbreak as strongly as she did makes the nauseous feeling in her stomach sink even further. If her mother, Aralia, was here she'd only make matters worse. Aralia wasn't a terrible mother, she was probably the best mother to ever exist, but more importantly, she was strong. After all, being branded as one of Earth's Mightiest Defenders had to stand for something. Lindy knew that Aralia would lie in bed with her and cuddle with her until she felt a little less empty, wipe away her tears with her warm fingers, and whisper words of encouragement to ease the pain. The idea in itself seems nice, something Lindy probably needed, but it'd serve as a reminder of how utterly different they are. Aralia has seen the worst and unexplained, she has ended empires and rose their people to unimaginable heights. On the other hand, Lindy's sister and brothers have won battles, fought in wars, and made names for themselves.