Chapter 6

6~ That Maid, Saying Goodbye

(Veronica's POV)

As soon as I left my mistress I went in search for that demon butler. Through the maze of dark halls and twisting corridors I finally sensed his presence in the servants quarters.

Smiling slightly, my pale snow colored hair swayed behind me as I rushed to where he was. The mistress ordered me to stay by his side, and besides a maid who can't do this much isn't worth her salt.

Knocking on his door, I waited patiently for him to answer. Then the door opened quietly to reveal a butler clad in black, Sebastian.

"The mistress ordered me to stay by you," I spoke softly while standing awkwardly in the doorway. I wanted to act on my usual instinct but that would go against the proper way a maid acts.

"Oh, of course miss Thorn." Sebastian greeted with a close-eyed smile.

"Oh please Sebastian, It's Veronica..." I spoke with slight edge in my tone. His eyes flashed as he directed a smirk my way. I stepped into his room, which was quite bare. It was simple and very clean like expected.

Once I had entered further into the room, Sebastian locked the door and turned towards me. He began backing me into a wall and placed both of his arms at either side of my face.

"Miss Veronica, why is it you are working for Lady Siren? I find it hard to believe that you are working without a contract, plus your brother seems to be rather close with the young mistress..." his voice went dark while his eyes glowed a bright crimson.

I glared slightly at the mention of my twin, "She saved us, we owe her more than an upper demon like yourself could possibly imagine. She provided for us when we had nothing, so our loyalty runs deep. My brother and I care for her as if she were kin, and besides Vincent seems to only have eyes for your maid."

My own eyes flashed as I started to push him back with every line I spoke until he was the one against the wall, looking quite shocked.

"Look, I'm not going to be pushed around by you just because you use intimidation or your good looks and charm to get your way, my mistress told me to work with you so that is what I will do!" I stubbornly told him.

"My my, I'm flattered that you think I have charm and good-looks my lady, it truly is an honor." Sebastian stated with a smirk. Oh how I wished to wipe the expression off of his smug face!

"Enough..." I sighed, "We must prepare for tomorrow." I turned for the door, but just as quickly Sebastian managed to grab my hand, pull me back while turning me in order to kiss me briefly on the lips. Without so much as a word he left me standing there a blushing mess!

That stupid infuriating spawn of Satan! I will get him back for this!

Before leaving I quickly took off a small ribbon with a rose pendant attached to it and placed it on a nearby nightstand.

While Sebastian set up things with the other servants I went to my brother. Knocking quietly, it was a brief wait before the door opened revealing my twin brother. He wore a simple charcoal colored shirt and black slacks. He had his reading glasses on and a book in hand. Without question, Vincent let me enter his room.

I sat on his bed with the silence surrounding me. Finally I decided to speak, "You understand what we have to do, right Vincent?"

"I understand that it is necessary for what the mistress and young master have to accomplish, but I don't believe this is good for her. You and I do not wish for her to get hurt," Vincent replied critically.

"I know...but if this is what she wants, I can't go against her. We pledged our loyalty to her Vincent," I replied hopelessly. "I must go, Sebastian has probably finished his preparations. Just, look after Siren...even if I'm not here..." I left the room silently.

Crossing the various halls I began to think about all that has happened. Sebastian was an able butler, but as an upper demon he is quite arrogant in his abilities. And his obsession with cats is something to get used to. I found myself smiling at the thought of the distracted face he makes whenever one is near.

...The thing is though...whenever I'm around him...

"Ah, Veronica good to see you found your way, I was about to go looking for you," That damn demon spoke with that same stupid and alluring smirk and a tilt of his head.

"Oh quiet you, let us check our masters," I spoke with a faint blush while looking away.

...He always manages to make my heart race...

Quietly slipping into the room, I looked over and saw my young mistress. She was tossing and turning on the small couch while the chain on her wrist rattled every time she moved.

While Sebastian seemed to scare Sir Arthur, I rushed over to Siren. Touching her shoulder seemed to calm her restless sleep, but she still had a helpless and pained look on her face. She woke up startled though, when Ciel shouted at Sebastian's teasing.

"Mistress? Are you alright?" I asked softly.

"I'm f-fine Veronica," She lied. Her breathing was more like a nervous pant, almost as if the next breath she took would be her last.

I gave her a look that clearly stated that I didn't believe her. The chain rattled and this time my mistress flinched. I felt my eyes widen in understanding before I automatically unlatched her chain.

"Veronica! What are you doing?" my mistress sounded panicked, but I could see her body was less tense than when the chain was on.

"Go over to Master Ciel," I ordered.

She nodded with a grateful smile and stepped over to the bed. I watched her tap the young lord's shoulder before turning to leave.

"Miss Veronica, why did you release Siren?" Sir Arthur asked in the darkness. I turned around and faced them from my place next to Sebastian in the doorway.

I smiled at my mistress, who was currently curled up and asleep next to the Earl, "Because, she was afraid..."

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"My mistress was held captive by her family for a number of years, there are many almost invisible scars marking her arms and legs from various shackles and restraints. I do not believe it right to make her suffer like that, especially if she loses sleep over the memories. That is why..." and with that I left the room.

Sebastian followed me out the door, "You certainly know a lot about miss Siren..." he eyed me suspiciously.

"She places her trust into us, we do the same. Though demons under contract like yourself would not understand something like that, would you?" I replied while looking back at him.

We quickly grabbed the tools in order to check the fires and made our way to the hall.

Both of our backs were turned while we found the missing link to our masters' puzzle. We knew he was there, but by then it was too late.

"Goodbye Mistress..."