Chapter 32 ~ Stop Throwing Dirt at Me! Practice Duel (1)

Comenzar desde el principio

"We shall start the first mock duel between Alterisa-kun and Orythium-kun. The rules will be simple. No life-threatening attacks and no spells above intermediate rank. Physical attacks are permitted. The time limit will be 20 minutes. The winner shall be decided when one of you surrenders or I have judged that you have lost. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Lawliela-sama."

"Yes."

Hearing both of our acknowledgement, Lawliela-sama nodded and raised her hand towards us.

A light blue magic circle appeared on her hands and three spheres of ice appeared above us.

"You may start when the last ice sphere is destroyed."

I raised my head and looked at the spheres of ice for a moment.

As expected of Lawliela-sama... They're all so masterfully made. All of them were perfectly spherical and unblemished. It might seem completely normal or not noteworthy, but I knew how amazing her control over her magic was just from this alone. To create such a smooth and perfectly spherical ice spheres was something I don't think anyone aside from lawliela-sama could do so quickly.

I turned my attention back to Wilhelm and readied myself. I bent my knees slightly and lowered my center of gravity.

Wilhelm seemed to also be getting ready as he moved his arms slightly to the side and stretched his palms open as we waited for the start of the duel.

*Shatter!*

The first ice sphere shattered.

I gathered my mana and prepared my opening move.

*Shatter!*

I simulated my opening moves over and over as I readied my body. Though I've practiced it before, it has been a while since I've done this. The last time I did it was perhaps during the winter vacation in my last year of middle school. It was when Hana, Kazuto, and I went to Hokkaido with our families for the vacation. We played a lot back then.

I recalled those fond memories and smiled. I will get to enjoy that activity again in this world. Maybe Lily, Lu-nii, Alexus, and all my friends can enjoy it again together.

I concentrated once again and all unnecessary thoughts disappeared from my mind. My mind feels clear and I feel like I could do anything right now.

Finally, the last ice sphere shattered with a piercing sound.

*Shatter!*

[Lawliela's POV]

As the last ice sphere shattered, a dark brown magic circle appeared on each of Orythium-kun's hands.

As expected of the child prodigy. Although an elementary level spell, he was able to cast it so quickly without any incantation.

I knew of his talent and strength, which is why I am very excited to see how Alterisa-kun would hold against this boy.

As expected, my attention was stolen completely by Alterisa-kun as she jumped suddenly right at the start of the match. I didn't see any magic circles on her hands, and while I knew that she was also practicing martial arts and weapon mastery, I didn't know why she would jump so suddenly.

Right after that instant, my question was answered, and it was something beyond any of my expectations.

A large ice element magic circle appeared beneath the ground she jumped from. It activated much faster than Orythium-kun's spell and shined brilliantly.

"Field of Ice!!"

Almost instantly, the entire training ground was covered in a thick layer of ice that spread out extremely quickly from the magic circle.

It was a spell I've never taught her before, and judging by the name she gave this spell, I am sure she thought of it herself.

This was an intermediate-ranked spell called "Frozen Field", a spell that envelopes a wide area of land in thick ice used to immobilize multiple enemies at once. It is an extremely powerful spell that a young girl like her shouldn't be able to cast so quickly. She casted an intermediate-ranked spell faster than Orythium-kun could cast an elementary-ranked spell...

That said, I wonder why she chose to cast this spell right at the beginning of battle. This spell has has two obvious drawbacks. One was that it would also affect allies, including the caster himself. This drawback didn't seem to be that detrimental since she had jumped previously and she had no ally she needed to worry about in this duel. I, myself, am able to immediately prevent the ice from freezing my and Valerie's feet.

But the second would be much more detrimental to her. It was the fact that it would be very difficult for anyone to move on the slippery ice.

However, as she fell back to the ground, a pair of shoes made of ice with what seemed to be a blade on its sole appeared on her feet. And the moment she landed, she began gliding through the slippery ice.

"Wow! Alterisa-chan, amazing!!! She's gliding through the ice!!! She's like an ice fairy!!!"

Valerie cheered from my side.

This... Ufufufu, this is certainly amazing.

I let out a smile as I watched her glide with her bladed shoes. I never would've thought that attaching a blade onto the sole of a shoe would allow someone to glide through ice so perfectly.

Ufufufu. She's truly very interesting. I also couldn't help but agree with Valerie. In addition to her fairy-like appearance and beauty, the way she glides through the ice was reminiscent of how a fairy would fly.

Umu. Perhaps I should think of how I could have Lisa let me "borrow" her daughter and have her stay overnight with me.

I mused as I continued to watch over this cute little disciple of mine. Her each and every move created a smile on my face.