Ch: 5

The first day started off as awkward of course. Well who wouldn't be? They fought like mad dogs yesterday and now, the two of them are currently in the kitchen making breakfast together. "I'm not really fond of playing house," Mew muttered and Gulf grips the spatula tightly, with a sigh, he sets his feelings aside. "Aiya, you agreed to do this."

Mew didn't say anything in reply as they continued to cook. The kitchen was filled with the delicious aroma of chicken soup. Gulf dips the wooden brown spatula and takes a good amount of soup then slowly blows it. He turns to face his husband who was busy chopping some vegetables. "Mew," he calls out softly and the said man turned to face him. "Try it, let me know if it tastes weird," Gulf finished as he holds the spatula carefully.

Mew's eyes glances at his burnt hand for a second and his heart clenched for a second. With a sigh, he leans forward and takes a sip. "It tastes pretty good," he complimented and Gulf immediately brighten upon hearing his words. "Okay, now I need that vegetables of yours," he said as he continued to stir the soup. Mew hums in reply and not too long, he puts the vegetables and mixes it with the soup.

To his surprise, there was a comfortable silence surrounding them and it felt very peaceful and calming. The two eventually finished cooking and ate in the dinning table.

Gulf was busy contemplating on what to talk about, the topic 'work' is a big no and there's nothing really to talk about. He sighs softly as he continued to eat, suddenly someone's phone rang. Mew immediately stands up without a second thought and left without saying word. Gulf tightly grips the utensil which was in his hands and stared at the meal in front of him.

"Hello? Ah yeah, I can't visit you for a few days," Mew's voice wasn't too loud nor too quiet. It was just right for Gulf to hear what he was saying. He knew who it already, who Mew was talking to; The new person he loves.

Gulf was close to finishing his meal and Mew just returned. "Sorry about that.. It was a call, from, uh, work," he explained and Gulf gave him a smile, "It's okay" he replied softly and finished his meal quietly.

"Do we have plans for today?" Mew asked and Gulf came to an abrupt stop. Why is Mew asking? He's not interested, right?
"lf you don't mind, I just wanted to make the paper cranes," he whispered and lowered his head. "That's alright," Mew replied as he finished his food.

After washing the dishes they went to the living room and Gulf takes out the box and gently place it on the small living room table. "Alright, I'm gonna show you a video on how to make them," Gulf pauses for a bit and glances at his burnt hand wrapped in bandages. "Since my other hand is unavailable..." he whispered as he takes out his other phone and plays the video in front of Mew.

Mew didn't complain as he watches the video quietly and Gulf was already contented with Mew in front of him and willing to tolerate him for a little longer. His heart ached that after 3 days, they will be no more than strangers. After 10 minutes of watching the video, Gulf puts his phone down and said, "So, did you get it?"

"Yeah but I'm still a bit confused," his husband replied as he takes a sheet of origami paper. "Don't wory, I'll tell you what to do next." They quietly worked together and when Mew forgets a step, Gulf will immediately tell him what to do with a smile and guided him. The first few cranes wasn't much of a success since Mew still didn't quite get the hang of it but Gulf just laughs at it and says, "It's okay, there are still a lot more papers."

They continued to fold paper cranes until afternoon came by. Time was surely fast when you're having fun. It was honestly a surprise for both of them since the silence that surrounded them was comfortable and warm. "Okay, so how many did we make?" Mew asks as he leans on the couch and stretches his arms.

"Wow, 1004 of them," Gulf said in amazement. "Truly, you're the only one who made it." Gulf said with a chuckle as he looks at the different colors of the paper cranes scattered on the table and floor. Upon hearing the 1004 number, Mew remembered something but he immediately puts the thought at the back of his mind. "Really? That's really a lot. Didn't you... Make paper cranes, too?" Mew asks cautiously and Gulf froze for a bit and replied, "Ah yeah, I did finish it but I accidentally threw away the others when I was fixing.. He explained as he averts Mew's gaze.

"I'm sorry" Mew whispered and Gulf's breath hitches. "Ahaha, it's okay." he replied as he grips at the carpet, controlling his feelings when his heart started aching once more. "Let's fix a bit and I'll prepare us some snacks," Gulf said quickly and stood up. "Gulf," Mew starts and Gulf came to an abrupt stop on fixing the cranes. "What is it?" He answered without looking at his husband.

"...I'm really sorry," he said once more and Gulf's lips quivered and God, his eyes were being watery again. He didn't really want to hear him say sorry. Because sorry for what? For throwing the cranes at the fire? For his burnt hand? Or for not loving him anymore? His heart was hurting so bad that he even held his breath from the pain. He bites his lower lip and gave a shakey breath. "I told you, it's okay."

It was not okay. It never was in the first place. He felt extremely broken and there's actually nothing he can do about it. After saying those words, Gulf didn't finish fixing as he quickly excused himself and went to the kitchen to prepare snacks. Mew sighs as he clenches his hand for a bit and couldn't help but feel his heart twist.

They really didn't do much on the first day since they were still adjusting and it was still a bit too awkward. All they did was just the paper cranes, eating snacks and then fixing the house together since it was getting a bit dusty. Night time came and it was the first time for them to sleep together at the same bed after a long time. "Good night, Mew," Gulf whispered softly as he yawns and Mew hums a bit and replied, "Good night, Gulf."

Mew didn't know why, but for the first time in a very long time, it was one of the most pleasant sleep he ever had.

(1156 words)