~64~ Only you...

Mulai dari awal

"We could always come back to sewing." The blonde chimes and I smile, once again shaking my head before my gaze falls.

"I'm alright." I respond in kind, "It's only my first time, remember."

Marion nods in half-hearted agreement, her hand picking up the needlework she had been doing with me.
"Your mother hasn't tried teaching you?" She questions, her green eyes glancing up at me for only a moment.

"Oh, she tried." I counter, pulling on the thread and my nose scrunches at the sight of one of my now many new knots.
"This is just something I haven't quite got the hang of yet. My mother guessed it was nerves- that I wasn't very confident with it and therefore messed up more." My movements slow themselves from straightening out the thin white thread and I swallow.

"Oh don't worry child. You'll get it eventually- just like you said."
I could tell Marion's smile was warm, inviting in a strange way that made you feel fuzzy on the inside - much like the feeling of a warm fire after being in the snow.

I lift my head after a moment, listening to the female hum a gentle tune she made up, and my gaze soon finds its way to the door that sat silently behind us - the darkened wood sitting in contrast with the same light hued walls of my room.

It felt homey.

I however...didn't exactly feel the same.

"Marion." My tone was soft, cutting through the female's wordless song and my gaze seemed drawn to the door - the halls that lay behind it helping to tug at my thoughts.

Her head lifts, peaking in curiosity and the female in question hums a little louder.
"Something wrong?" She ponders out loud and her question seemed somewhat correct to me.

Her questions replay in my head - following her words, tone, and motherly expression.

In truth my mind had lingered on many things in what felt like a short time - thinking many things over to the point I was certain they had been permanently transcribed into my head...but one new thought stood out to me.

It was a simple thought. Only consisting of two older women I had known for a short amount of time.

They could be deemed motherly in very different ways - as they both were indeed mothers - yet in a small shine of resemblance they both had a gentle and comforting tone, a side close kin could go to in times of much needed love or attention.

Marion wore hers on her sleeve, a caring woman both inside and out - the neighborly kind of woman whose smile was like the inviting aroma of gingerbread that she would always smell like, and the kind many children would imagine handing out warms cups of tea paired with sugar dusted cookies on chilly nights.
She was a kindred soul, always inviting and always open to warmth, and yet she knew when to be strict - to show a more tough kind of love to those who needed it.

Augusta had that side - a warm and gentle side I had seen only briefly one time. And although her emotions were like moss covered stone, she still had roses waiting to be blossomed into a nurturing woman.
She didn't like showing emotions, keeping them close instead of handing them out to every person.

And I understood both sides...I understood where she was coming from very early on.

But that didn't make her words hurt any less.

"Would George still be in his study?"
I respond after a minute and Marion glances at where my eyes had been gazing before a serene smile turns her lips up.

"Would you like me to take you to him?" She asks and I look back at her, my shoulders falling into a more relaxed state.

"I...do not know. We don't have much time left, until you are to get back to your chores- I'd hate to just leave you."