In her mind, there was only before and after Bridger; no in-between. And as it suddenly began to pour, she stood in the rain, head lifted to the sky, and closed her eyes. It was then that she realized just how poetic it was. 

That was also when she realized it was her final chapter. Without him, she would be purposeless and, more importantly, alone.  

What she had thought would be the best decision of her life turned out to be her worst. 

-

Arms crossed, Amora was lying horizontally over her bed, head falling over its edge. All the while, she toned out her phone, willing it to stop ringing. After it ended, however, it came again. Then again

Finally, snapping upright, she dug her phone from her pocket and sighed. It was her, just as all the times before. 

She had had enough. 

"Hello?" Amora asked, steadying her voice. "What's up?"

"Have you been ignoring me?"

Amora swallowed hard, fidgeting with a loose thread. "No, Faya, why would you think that?"

"Well, I've been trying to call you for the past two days," Faya deadpanned. "In the past, you'd answer me in a heartbeat."

"Well-"

"And Bridger's been ignoring me too."

At this, Amora paused, stumbling for words. "Well, uh, you think he's been... ignoring you?" Her voice faltered. "Why would he do that?"

"That's what I want to know. We broke up two weeks ago, but I wanted to get back together, so I've been calling him," she rambled a little too quickly. "Do you know something I don't?! I figured you would be the person to call. You guys go to the same school, after all, and you were my best friend..."

"Wait," Amora mumbled, "they really didn't tell you? You didn't receive a call?"

"Who, Amora? What are you talking about?" Faya pressed. 

"His parents."

There was a long moment of silence. 

"His... parents?" Faya asked, taking it in. "Well, I have been receiving some calls from unknown numbers. A lot, actually..." Then she paused, her breaths coming out shaky. "Why?"

"He's been in an accident." A beat passed. "He's dead."

"What?" 

"Calls those numbers back, ask the parents. They know more than I do."

"Wait, just sto-"

"I'm sorry." And with that, she hung up, blocking her number. All the while, she rationalized it. Faya did, after all, refer to their relationship in past tense. Maybe this wasn't so bad. 

Besides, Amora reminded herself, Faya would only remind her of Bridger; of what could have been. 

It was better this way. 

-

As she slowly descended the stairs, Amora hugged herself, shaking. That phone call had been just as bad as expected; maybe worse. Even though Bridger had died four days ago, just the mention of his name stung, and she feared it always would. 

No, she told herself, I know it'll always hurt

At the bottom, she sighed but lifted her head. Her mother couldn't see her falling apart over some boy. So, after leaning against the doorway, she smiled into the living room.