Chapter 1: The Tritons

• Dedicated to My friend Jasmin

As Professor Layton stepped out of the train, Flora close behind, squealing "This is so exiting!", he almost immediately spotted his old friend Clark Triton.

"Clark!", he greeted. Luke's father walked over, smiling.
"Hershel! Luke told me you'd be coming. He's already busy 'investigating', as he calls it. Please, do come with me. It's time you saw our new house."
The Professor and Flora followed Clark all the way to a big house, that Flora admired very much. Next to the frond door, "TRITON" was written in big letters. Professor Layton stepped into the house.

"Professor!"

And as the Professor spun around, he saw no other than his young apprentice Luke Triton.

"Professor! I'm so glad you came!"

Layton smiled. "Well, that's what a gentleman does, isn't it? Now, tell me more about this mystery."

Luke straightened his blue cap. "Well, you see Professor, as you know from the documents, people have been disappearing all over town. Even two of my new friends, Sven and Charles have vanished."

"Not just people in your town, Luke."

Luke frowned, throwing a confused glance at the Professor. "Huh? What do you mean?"

"Have you been reading the newspaper, my dear boy?"

"Yes, Professor! Every day!"

"And today's newspaper?"

"Well...um...you got me there. I haven't read it yet."

The Professor spread the newspaper over the tabletop.
"Read that."

Luke bent forward.

TWO DISAPPEARANCES PUZZLES SCOTLAND YARD

Dr. Schrader, archeologist has vanished mysteriously. According to other people, he was in his office at noon, but gone at one o'clock.

"Dr. Schrader!", Luke gasped.

Professor Layton pointed to the paper. "Read on."

Clive Dove, 23, journalist, had been released from prison yesterday, after being locked up for several months, has gone missing. No one knows when or where.

Luke looked up, wide-eyed. "Clive! Out of all people I thought we might save ...The one who pretended to be me and tried to destroy London! Gosh!"

Layton chuckled. "He's a good man inside. I guessed we might encounter him again."

Luke looked around. "Hey, where's Flora? Didn't you mention her coming?"

"That's rather strange. She was here just a moment ago!"

After hopelessly searching without success, Luke gasped. "What if she vanished like the others?"

"I'm not sure what do say right now, Luke."

The doorbell rang.

"Luke!", came Clark's voice, "Hershel! There's someone here to see you both!"

"That's peculiar.", said Layton, "I wonder who that could be?"

And as they stepped towards the entrance of the house, they saw someone standing in the hallway. She was wearing a yellow dress, a helmet with goggles, and a red bow tie. Outside, Layton could see a yellow motorbike. It was Emmy Altava.

Authors Note:

Hiya everyone!!! I just wanted to say: everyone who's reading this, please follow @Rivercloud , my best friend and @Cutiecorn , my "roleplay friend"!!! Because these two are the only one's reading right now 😝. By the way, @Rivercloud, I brought in Clive just for you! I thought you might like it! One more thing: Every chapter, I'm going to post a puzzle I made myself. The answer will be in the following chapter. Feel free to post your answer in the comments!!! You can also give me one of YOUR puzzles, and I might use it!

So here's the puzzle:

Mary is chatting with her brother.

Mary:"You know, if you gave me three of your sweets, I'd have four times more than you!"

Brother: "But if you gave me three, we'd both have the same!"

Mary: "and if we both had one sweet more, I'd have twice as many as you!"

How many sweets does Mary have?