Chapter 1| the awakening

As the moon rose slowly above the city of New York, Jack benson was laying on his bed watching the new smurfs movie to celebrate the blue moon. Hours passed as he skipped through movies, but when he heard a loud piercing scream filter through his window he closed his computer in fright.

He got up and gingerly sat on his window sill peeking out to find the screams owner. More screams erupted in the building but it seemed even closer, Jack detected that they were coming from downstairs, he quietly got down from his window and slowly made his way downstairs.

When he arrived on the floor below, Jack smelled something horrid traveling through the air, he followed the smell while running his calloused fingers slowly along the wall. He soon found the apartment where the smell was coming from, he cautiously knocked at the door but the door opened on its own...

Jack let out a long loud scream as he saw his downstairs neighbours body lying on the ground in front of him. The smell seemed to be coming from her body. He quickly dialled 911 on his faded blue cellphone and explained what had happened even while hyperventilating.

The police and paramedics arrived shortly after the call and took her body to the morgue for an autopsy.

"Jack Benson?" The police asked as he approached the traumatized 17 years old, "I'll need you to come with me" the officer asked him. They later arrived at the police station and jack was sent into the interrogation room.

"Jack... I need you to walk me through what happened" the officer who's name was Liam asked, " w-well I was sitting in my r-room when I heard a scream" jack explained slowly get more comfortable, "I went downstairs and I smelled something horrible, like a rotting fish, and then I found the source of the smell and I knocked but the door was already open".

"I saw the body then I screamed and left the apartment then called you guys and that's all" he finished, "thank you Jack you can go home now" the officer said sighing at the whole situation, the young man went home and stared at his ceiling for the rest of the night.

On the upper east side of New York laying down in his bed was Cole Stone, his blonde hair was swept aside on his forehead away from his eyes, his mossy green eyes slowly traveling his paperback copie f the book War Lord by Bernard Cornwell, it was 3:45 am yet you could still hear the loud motors of the cars traveling through the city.

He quietly rolled out of his bed in his silver grey room to go down to the kitchen for a snack, as he descended the mahogany stair case in their upper state penthouse he could start to smell a disgusting aroma that was seemingly accurate to the one of a dead fish.

He opened the French doors to the marble kitchen and found the housekeepers body sprawled on the floor with her cleaning supplies scattered around her.
He yelled and ran to his parents bedroom but instead he found his mother kneeling at the head of their bed praying while his father laid motionless in their bed.

Cole's mother slowly lifted her head to look at her son when she heard him come in, her Amber eyes glassy while tears continued to roll down her dusty pink cheeks. "He died" she croaked her mind still not fully functional, he died in his sleep she had explained.

Cole couldn't believe it, his only father figure laying before him not a breath escaping his lips, finally allowing himself to feel emotion Cole broke down sobbing next to his mother as they held hands.

Hours past and the sun started to show above the tall buildings of New York still crying their eyes out mother and son grieved for their loved one, minuets later a small girl about six with light brown hair in a simple braid found her mother and brother brawling in her parents room.

"Mommy Cole, why are you crying" she asked holding her bunny blankety to her mouth when she saw her father that wasn't breathing she quickly understood what had happened she kneeled down on his side of the bed and cried.

Even through the rotten smell coming from the maids and his fathers body Cole stayed mourning his father.
Days seemed to pass as they all cried when they all seemed to run out of tears, Miriam their mother finally called the police.
————————————————————

"Doctor, doctor!" Miriam called, "yes?" The doctor responded, "how did my husband... die" she said gulping at the last word. "We don't know yet, we will send him to the morgue right now, once we know we will call you" the paramedic replied.
"Thank you" she whispered hanging her head down in grief.
————————————————————
Both Cole and Jack had witnessed some sort of world crisis in its prime but thought nothing of it. Few weeks later Jack and Cole both joined an online group for people with traumatic pasts.

Cole listened to jack tell his story, the scream and the terror look, it all matched up to his own experience, he decided to reach out to Jack.

Cole: bold
Zack: regular

Hi

Hello? Do I know you

Well I'm part of the traumatic past group that you are a part of...
My names Cole Stone

Oh y'a blondie

Sure... anyways I need to ask you about your ummm trauma.

Okaaay...

Did you perhaps smell dead fish near your neighbours body?

Y'a i did - how d'you know...

Cause the same thing happened to me.

...

Can we meet up on Saturday