~63~ Life as it happened

Start from the beginning

"Of course I have. Sir I-"

"Good. And the report as well?" The older male adds, fixing his signature, navy blue jacket. "I'll be needing you at your best."

Hamilton scoffs at the interpreted insult, his expression more stiff.
"I always am." He responds yet Washington stays still, only clearing his throat after a moment as his eyes shift.

"Then why do you seem distracted."

"I'm not."

"You have been for some time, actually." Washington speaks up, watching as the male in front of him straightens, preparing himself to speak up before the male sighs and pushes his chair back.
"Don't get me wrong," he says in a more loud and clear tone.
"I know you're working hard, but you can't be juggling so many things at once."

Hamilton takes a breath, his head shaking just a little before his eyes meet the male.

"I'm fine." He says, fixing his jacket with impatience. "But sir, this is important - surely you of all people should know how her family is-"

"I'm aware." Washington interrupts, his frame standing tall and yet he remains calm and calculated.
"Don't think I'm brushing any of this off. I'm still ahead of things, but I also have other responsibilities to keep up with. And you, of all people need to know that."

Hamilton's expression hardens, his eyes narrow as they shift to the floor.

"Do you have any business related matters to discuss with me at this time, because if not I need to ask that we talk this over at a later time as I'm quite busy today."

"No, sir." Hamilton responds shortly, his tone more distant. "...I'll be sure to drop off the reports tomorrow, we can go over them then."
The male seemed hesitant, yet a cold aura covered him like a blanket and he turns without another word - knowing it was pointless to argue despite his mind wanting to carry his words on.

His breath was held until the door to the office shut and Hamilton huffs - thinking over on how fast the less than five minute conversation turned out of his favor.

One step forward and he shakes his head as he studies the floor that moved beneath him slowly.

'If he'd only let me explain- I'm so close to getting it right. I know I am...'

The pair of dark brown eyes shift to the baseboard running along the wall - the now seemingly irritated male ignoring the second calling of his name.

"He's not listening..."

"Hamilton."

His head snaps up, his breathing almost startled by the newcomer's voice and he sighs - watching Burr's expression.

"Are you quite alright?" The newcomer's tone was more gentle than the umber clad male's, his features holding the same calm and calculated concentration it almost always did.

"Burr." Hamilton greets, forcing a small, friendly smile that didn't last too long. "I apologize, I wasn't paying attention-" his words falter at the phrase that seemed painfully familiar - one that he was convinced he hadn't heard in forever.
He draws in a breath, straightening.
"Did you need something?"

Burr holds back a nod, his eyes showing a sense of friendly concern.
"I just wanted to say hello..." he says slowly before his head tilts and his shoulders fall only just.
"have you been overworking yourself again?"

"That's no concern of yours." Hamilton replies a little too quickly.
"I just have a lot of work to get done, that's all."

"I'm just asking as a friend, work partner." Burr interjects, having sensed the stand-offish tone in the male's voice and frame.
"I'm not the only one you know, who's noticed you seem restless these days. Irrational to some." The male takes a small step forward, his tone having stayed the same.
"You do know breaks aren't a bad thing - you're going to work yourself into your grave if you're not careful. And besides, I'm sure Elizabeth would enjoy more of your company."
He adds, trying to keep a pleasant mood, yet his friend shakes his head as he steps forward - passing him.