vi

It was late at night, almost 1 am. Sivaangi got up groggy, she involuntarily cracked an eye open, as she walked wobbly to the table to get some water. They had such a late night, dancing and singing. She picked up the heavy jug, when she heard it. A loud screeching scream rippled through the resort. The scream made her jolt up and nearly drop the jug. It sounded so nearby, her heart started beating faster and she warily put down the jug and walked towards the door.

Unsure of whether to open it and look outside, after contemplating for a while, she opened it and peeked outside. The corridor was painteedd the night black and it was eerily quiet. The sound of footsteps was heard, and Sivaangi saw a dark figure slide across the corridor. She inhaled sharply, and stood frozen. The shadowy presence noticed her and turned to look at her. Her stomach turned uncomfortably and she tried to run inside her room, but the dark figure caught her hand pushed her up against the wall.

Her whole body trembled with fear as he held her hands tightly, and covered her mouth with his other hand. He inched closer and whispered in her ear, “Everyone is being watched.”

She fumed, how dare he? Mustering up all the strength she could, she pushed him off of her and collided her fist with his nose. Her attacker recoiled in pain, and she took that opportunity to run inside her room and lock it.

She pressed herself against the door, trying to calm her racing heart. Her throat was parched again. Tears blurred vision as she slid down to the floor. She didn't know how long she stayed like that.

A series of knocks came on her door. Panic rose in her chest again,

"Thangam?"

Sivaangi relaxed as she recognised Rakshan Anna's voice. She got up and opened the door hurriedly.

Rakshan took in her disheveled appearance and asked, "Hey, enna achu ma?"

Every time she opened her mouth to speak, the words wouldn't come up. Rakshan slowly moved her inside the room and sat her down on the bed.

"Sivaangi ma, enna achu?".

He was answered with silence. Taking a deep breath, he fished out his phone and called the one person who could calm her down.

"Sollu machan?"

"Machan, Sivaangi ku enna achu nu therila da? Antha scream kettathuku aparam naa ivaala pakan vanthen. Ava etho shock la iruka, nee konjam variya?".

Ashwin swallowed thickly and said, "Odane varen."

Few minutes passed where Sivaangi was still floating in the land of fear, staring at the ground. Ashwin hurriedly entered the room, and saw her. He glanced towards Rakshan who simply nodded.

Crouching down to her, he took her hand in his and spoke so quietly only that she could hear. "Sivaangi, enna paru."

Ashwins voice broke through her trance and she looked down. His warm brown eyes grounded her back to earth and she weakly asked, "Yaaru kathina?".

Ashwin hesitated for a moment and said, "Darsha."

Sivaangi gripped his hand tighter and Ashwin said, "Avalulu ethum aagala. She's fine, kavala padatha. Yaaro ulla vanthurkanga, but before they could do anything she screamed so the policeman outside came to help."

Sivaangi visibly relaxed yet tears blurred her vision, it was like she had ho control over them.

"Avana pathen, Darsha akka room lenthu vanthutu irnthan. Appo yenna pathutan.." she trailed off, words stuck in her throat