Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

I smirked at that, and raised my glass in a toast, "As has my life. At least it is never dull."

We were given a suite of rooms, although I noticed right away that mine did not connect to the others, and had a few hours to prepare for the barge party. I ran what I knew of Tarquin through my head as I began to prepare. Although I didn't actually want to seduce the male, Gods know my mates would have something to say about that, it didn't hurt to appear more susceptible to his desires.

I chose a flowing cream gown, with layers of silk and a deep neckline that was still conservative enough that it didn't show much beyond a swath of skin from my throat to nearly my navel. I finished it off with pink tinted pearls at my throat, ears and brow, in a semblance of a crown.

The bay was calm as the party began, the barge alight with delicate lights. Were I still purely Celeana, this would have been a party to set my blood aflame. Sadly, I was not, and there was a larger reason behind every action I made. Our party was seated at a long table in the center of the wide deck, and I was seated in a place of honor to the right of Tarquin. He had been talking with me all night, telling tales of the wonders of the Spring Court, constantly inquiring after additional details of my own realm.

He was a pleasant enough conversationalist, even if he was a bit simple for my taste. He was a good male, but one who had clearly not seen much hardship or strife in his life before these last years. I kept my responses light, glancing over the real details of my past and my experiences. No need to traumatize the poor High Lord. I infused just enough flirtation into the conversation to have him eating out of the palm of my hand without making any overt promises.

I should have been crowing in satisfaction, but instead there was an odd tension in my chest as I watched Rhysand talk to Cresseida all night. He had barely even given me more than a once over tonight when I appeared in my outfit, which was incredibly disappointing. I looked damn good, and I knew it. I attempted to brush it off, knowing he was playing the game as much as I was, but I couldn't quite avoid the jolt of pain it brought to my heart. The thought that he could be happier with someone like Cresseida, someone gentle and without damage, who could be his perfect little wife, wouldn't leave my mind.

When he began tracing circles on the back of her delicate, unmarred hand, grinning like the cat who caught the canary, I gratefully took up Tarquin's offer of a tour of the remainder of the ship. It was a large vessel, clearly meant for pleasure and not anything practical. Nevertheless it was impressive, and I told him as much when he led me to a private balcony overlooking the city.

My smile was rueful as I confided in him, "I hope one day to overlook my cities on a night as peaceful as this. On a night when there is not another evil to defeat, and I don't have to fear for the lives of my people."

His tone was thoughtful as he turned to me, "Your people are lucky to have such a fierce protector as a Queen. You serve them well."

I didn't have to fake the blush that colored my cheeks at his words, "I only hope that I am enough."

Seriously, he grasped my hands, turning me so that I faced him more fully. "You are more than enough. And here, with my city, my people as witness, I swear that I will do whatever I can to aid you, to protect your people and mine."

I raised an eyebrow at that, "Even share your half of the Book of Breathings?"

He nodded solemnly, "Even that." Then he cracked a smile, and held out another glass of champagne for me to taste, "But that can be discussed tomorrow. For now, I will enjoy the brief pleasure of your magnificent presence in my court."

I smirked slightly at that, the male was more perceptive than he let on. Still, I enjoyed the rest of the evening, learning more about Tarquin, the Spring Court and those closest to him. And at the end of the evening, I pretended not to notice that both Rhysand and Cressida had left far prior to the conclusion of the party.