After putting on my apron, I finally noticed Owen. He was watching me from the other side of the kitchen with a smile on his face. I looked down at my hands the second we made eye contact and went to the sink.

Turning on the hot water, I scrubbed my fingers clean. I almost screamed when I felt Owen’s shoulder brush mine. “Jesus don’t scare me like that!”

He frowned. “Why did you lie to me Mia?”

I was shocked by his words. “I didn’t lie to-“

“You said you were scared of me getting in trouble yesterday. It was because of you age. Why didn’t you just tell me that you were turning eighteen today? On and by the way, Happy Birthday”

Out of frustration, I bit my lip and even drew a little blood. He was right, I sort of did lie to him, but it was just easier that way. I wasn’t even thinking about my birthday though. And if I would have told him that I was turning eighteen, he would have keep on trying.

“Look Owen, I really wasn’t thinking about it, and like I said, my age isn’t the only reason we’re not together.”

I could tell that I was frustrating Owen, but I didn’t care. Like I had said yesterday, he had already lied to me once and I wouldn’t allow it again.

“But I really like you Mia. And now that you’re eighteen-“

“It would still be unprofessional,” I cut in.

There was a long pause before he spoke again. “What if I talk to Julie about it, she would understand. There’s nothing wrong about it anymore.”

I rolled my eyes. Was there something wrong with us before? “She and I aren’t really in the best place right now.”

“What do you mean?” he asked immediately.

Well, what I mean is that she caught me sleeping with Gavin. Not really sleeping, but he was in my bed after hours and that didn’t sit right with her. It’s not like we were even doing anything, and I was just asking him to leave. I didn’t understand why Julie thought it was such a big deal.

“We just, look she’s a little mad at me,” I said even though I wasn’t telling him the whole truth. But it didn’t matter; Owen didn’t deserve to know the whole truth from me.

He sighed. “Are you going to tell me what really happened? I’m not stupid; I can tell when you’re lying.”

Owen moved closer to me, but I side stepped him and headed towards the fresh fruit. Ignoring the annoyed sound that came from his mouth, I grabbed a knife and started cutting. After a few seconds, Owen was standing on the other side of the counter.

“Just tell me what happened and I won’t bug you anymore.”

Sighing and dropping the knife and told him what happened. How she caught Gavin and I together, even though I was just asking him to leave. Not that we would do anything anyway.

“That’s what you get for being a stupid little girl,” Owen finally said releasing a huge breath.

I glared at him across the counter. “You already know I’m not a little girl Owen.”

He laughed. “Yeah I definitely know you don’t look like a little girl.”

I could tell that he was referring to the other night when my towel fell. My face felt warm, and I looked down at my feet. “Don’t be embarrassed about your body Mia, you’re smoking. And you defiantly don’t need those little boys, you need a man.”

Owen moved around the counter and stepped in front of me. “Landon’s seventeen. He’s turning eighteen at the end of summer. He’s not a kid.”