What Sunsets do to People

Start from the beginning

Tsukishima's mother is a beautiful woman. She looks like Tsukishima but more gentle. Her jaw is softer, and her hair reaches just at her chest. She steps on the stairs delicately, barely making a noise. When she sees me she grins excitedly.

"Hey sweetheart! Are you a friend of Kei's? I'm Kei's mother you can call me Akari." His mother smiles. She grabs my hand and shakes it. One she lets go I give a polite bow.

"Thank you for allowing me into your home Mr and Mrs Tsukishima." I bring myself back and introduce myself. "I'm Y/n Sugawara. I'm in the same class as Tsukishima." I say and both adults smile.

"Nice to meet you Y/n. Let me take these bags for you." Mr. Tsukishima takes the bag from my hand while him and Tsukishima go to the kitchen to start putting them away. Tsukishima pointing out all of the things that are mine.

"So Y/n, I thought I told you to call me Akari. Not Mrs. Tsukishima." She says leading me to the kitchen. I panic and shake my head.

"Ah no I can't do that, it's so disrespectful!" I feel myself panic and Mrs. Tsukishima laughs as she leads me to the kitchen island, we both take a seat and watch the two Tsukishima men put away the food.

"So are you a part of any clubs at school Y/n?" Mr. Tsukishima asks and I nod.

"Mhm. I manage the volleyball club with another girl in third year." I say and both parents smile at me.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

April 26

Tsukishima POV

☽ 

Dad and I go join Mom and Y/n on the kitchen island. Mom seems to like Y/n.

"Your mother and father must are very happy to have such a well behaved daughter. You're a very sweet girl." Mom comments and Y/n flinches a bit at the mention of her father and I begin to feel guilty. The frown on her face only lasts a second until she manages to let out a smile.

"Thank you Mrs. Tsukishima." She says. Y/n checks the time and frowns. "I should start to head home. I want to help my older brother with dinner." Y/n says and my parents nod.

"Why don't you let us drive you home? You need to carry all of these groceries home. That watermelon is heavy." Dad says and Y/n shakes her head.

"No it's fine. I'm not on the court so the walking will give me some exercise." Y/n jokes and my parents nod.

"It's fine. I'll take you home." I say and Y/n shakes her head even more.

"You just got home and you had practice before we went to the store and it's already 5 p.m! My apartments further away." Y/n shakes her hands in the air and I sigh.

"I have a bike. We can put your groceries and school bag in the basket. Let's go." I say walking to the door after grabbing the 2 brown paper bags. Y/n sighs and turns back to my parents.

"Thank you for welcoming me into your home. Have a nice evening." She says as she follows me out the house. I grab my bike from the side of the house and put the groceries and her school bag in the whicker basket. 

I get on the bike seat and I motion Y/n to get on behind me. She does and sits on the little ledge behind the actual seat. She grabs my shoulder with one hand and my rib with the other. I start peddling and she holds on tighter, but after a while she soon relaxes.

"Hey Tsukishima." She whispers and I hum. "Look at the sky, it's so beautiful. The sky. It's colourful  and warm. It's hugging us." She says in a dreamy voice as she moves both hands to my shoulders, squeezing me a little. Her voice hugs my ears in the smoothness of her tone. Soft and delicate, like if the wind blew too hard it wouldn't be the same.

I look up from the neighbourhood streets and look at the sky. Y/n's right, it is pretty. The clouds are shades of pink and orange and warm purples that stretch along the horizon in fluffy, skinny streaks. The sky is pink and blue and orange in all different patches. It is warm, like the world is enveloping, holding you so dearly in it's softest and purest of embraces.

Maybe it's because she pointed the sky out, that it's so much prettier then I would usually think.

I can't see her, or how she looks in the colourfulness and the warmth of the sunset but I can tell she looks pretty, like how she did the other night when I told her about stars. But her voice is like the way it was that night too. Relaxed and calm and it over powers the wind in my ears in the gentlest way.

"Yeah. You're right." I feel myself smile.

"I'm always right Mr. Tsukishima Kei." She teases and taps my head lightly with her nails.

"I guess you are." I say and I feel her hum.

"I'm sorry about my Mom bringing up your Dad." I say, stopping at an intersection before peddling again.

Y/n sighs before speaking. 

"It's fine. Really. She didn't know I don't mind." She says and I nod. "Oh and don't forget to bring a bento tomorrow. It's the tournament." She changes the subject and I follow suit.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

April 26

Tsukishima POV

☽ 

─── 

Y/n Sugawara (3 minutes ago)

Thak for talking me hone 

get some skeep for the gamws tmr

gn sweet boy! 🌌

Kei Tsukishima (Just now)

You're welcome. 

You don't forget one too.

Good night.

─── 

This girl does something to me like how stars and sunsets change her. I don't know what I'm feeling anymore.

I lay in bed and get some sleep.

That girl is something else.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Written July 15, 2021

Released August 7, 2021