(4) He's a Wolf and I'm His Prey

Start from the beginning

She grabbed my wrist. “Not so fast. You are going back tonight, even if I have to drag you there myself.”

How could I go back after what happened the other night with Rob?

“No, I’m not going back.”

“Oh yes you are,” she replied in a singsong voice. “Come on, David, let’s go.”

My dad followed her out of the door, where they both climbed into their car and drove off. I sighed heavily. No way was I going back, no matter how sexy Rob was.

________________________________________________________________________________

“Fine! I’ll go!” I cried, slapping my hands over my ears as mum began to sing Mother Knows Best from Tangled. She’d been bugging me all day since they got back from shopping, and basically blackmailed me into going back to kickboxing club, saying she’d sign me up to Army Cadets if I didn’t.

I got changed into my tracksuit and walked down to the leisure centre. I checked my watch before I pushed through the double doors. “Shit!” I said out loud as I saw that I was five minutes late.

I tried to quietly go through the doors, but of course with my awful luck, it squeaked. Rob was up front giving another lecture when he suddenly stopped and turned to face me. His eyes met mine wickedly, and he smirked. “Late again, I see, Miss Swan.”

I scowled down at the floor. “Sorry,” I muttered through gritted teeth as I dropped my bag with the rest and joined the group.

Rob continued with his lecture. It was something about defence. I couldn’t really concentrate because every couple of seconds, he would look at me, a smirk in his eyes, and I would look away, trying to fight off a blush. I didn’t succeed.

“Right, warm up by jogging around the hall then.”

The sound of Rob’s hands clapping echoed around the walls.

I tagged along at the back again, this time not getting worn out as easily since I hadn’t ran all the way there. I didn’t even notice when Rob began jogging beside me.

“Alright?” he asked, pulling me from my thoughts.

I snapped my head towards him. “Fine,” I muttered, concentrating on my breathing again. I saw him nod his head from the corner of my eye. I didn’t dare look at him. It was too embarrassing after what happened.

After we’d finished our twenty laps, everybody sat around chatting and swigging water again as they caught their breath back. Rob sat down at the opposite end of the room, laughing and joking with some other guy.

Clenching my jaw, I slowly made my way towards him. My palms were already clammy just thinking about talking to him again.

Both guys looked up as I approached. “Alright, love?” the blond stranger asked. He looked about the same age as Rob, early twenties, but I hadn’t seen him the last time I came.

“Here, have a sit down,” the blond said, patting the spot on the floor next to him. It was kind of cute the way he acted around me, even though he didn’t know me.

I shook my head and looked to Rob. “Can I um… talk to you, please?” I asked timidly, barely glancing up from the floor.

Rob stood up and placed his hand at the small of my back, guiding me towards the other corner of the room. I moved further away, effectively breaking the contact.

“I’m sorry!” I blurted, doing my best to look him in the eye.

He pulled his eyebrows together. “What for?”