Chapter 09 ~ Long Time No See

Start from the beginning

I looked back towards the front door of the building from which I had just come, looking for any signs of a familiar expensive dark suit, but there was none. I pushed my thoughts away and hurried into the vehicle, Mr. Jones remaining outside and waiting for Riddian.

I was just about to tell him not to bother when I glimpsed our boss finally exiting the building, my purse in his hand as he motioned for Mr. Jones to take his place as driver. 

"Here," he handed the purse to me as soon as he fell onto the seat beside me and closed his door, Mr. Jones doing the same to the driver's door, "Mr. Jones-"

"Galwin's Hospital please," I said for him.

"And quickly," Riddian ended.

:*:*:*:*:*:*:

As we pulled off the highway and onto the road which led directly to the hospital, I couldn't help how worried and upset I felt. My emotions surely must have been reflecting on my face since Riddian, who had been staring at me silently for the entire ride, suddenly took my hand in his and squeezed it. I looked back at him, surprised, before looking at the back of Mr. Jones' head which was trained in the right direction.

He faced the road and the car was dark. He didn't notice. 

A small sob escaped me into the silence at Riddian's small, yet large, gesture of comfort. I had to turn away and try to distract myself with the cars which were flying by. Then the hospital appeared before us and sirens blaring from incoming ambulances brought both relief and stress to my heart. The edge had me loosening my hold on Riddian's hand.

I could feel Riddian still staring at me for a moment.

"Through the ambulance's gate," he murmured to Mr. Jones, and next the feel of his eyes on me, waiting to see if I'd require his comfort anymore, was gone.

Within the second of which Mr. Jones stopped the car next to the large double doors of the emergency entrance, I had already left it, but realising the doors were closed, I hesitated to take another step.

Riddian exited the vehicle after me and pulled out his phone, joining me and leading me up to the door.

"Jahvon," I looked up at him to see he was on the phone, "we're here."

He hung up, and a couple minutes after, the door opened to reveal a security guard.

"Remora?" he asked, looking between the two of us. I looked to Riddian who nodded at the guard. "This way," he ushered us in and pointed us towards the main hallway.

When we entered, among the few nurses, doctors and patients moving through the hall, one of the doctors, a male who seemed to be in his early thirties with round glasses I wasn't sure was prescribed and a walk almost as rigid as Riddian's, made his way towards us.

"Katherine, this is Dr. Jahvon Walker," Riddian introduced us as soon as we were before the doctor himself. I quickly swiped a hand under my eyes to wipe away my drying tears and reached the other out to the doctor.

"Hi, nice to meet you. Your dad's going to be just fine," the doctor smiled.

Before I could reply, Riddian was asking for my dad's room number.

I looked over to see him looking at the doctor's and I's hands which were still connected in the hand shake. I released the doctor's own, though this was not the time for his jealousy. Thankfully, once Dr. Walker relayed the information, he left us, and Riddian's attitude changed.

"I'll wait outside while you go see him," he said, choosing to leave too. I nodded and watched him go, then quickly headed towards the elevator.

With shaky fingers I chose my desired floor, and thankfully, I was the only one inside the elevator. I used the short moment alone to gather myself, not wanting dad to see me like this if he was even conscious.