Chapter 10

Another update!

This chapters contains some swearing (including a homophobic slur) so just a warning. 

Lol. You've all heard it before.

Unedited . . .

____________________________________________

A beep wakes me up the next morning. I sit up, alert in an instant. I don’t have an alarm. So the beep makes no sense.

I try to move but something blocks me. I look down at Rick in surprise. He’s curled up against me, head on my shoulder.

“Hey. What are you doing?” I whisper, shaking him a little.

He mumbles something incoherent and grips my waist tighter.

With a smile, I leave him be. It’s not the first time he’s done it. And it won’t be the last. In my last round of chemo, I’d felt horrible after. Unable to breathe. Always stressing out. Getting itchy all the over, especially on my arms. The doctors had said it was nothing but none of us had taken any precautions. During that time, Rick hadn’t left my side. If I was asleep he was curled up next to me. If I was watching a TV show he was watching it with me.

I reach over and grab my phone of the bedside table. The first thing I do is check the time. 12:14pm. Blearily, I blink at my phone. Who texts someone at midnight? No wonder why Rick is out like a light.

I debate whether or not I should look at the texts. It can only be one person. And I owe Rachel for going AWAL for the whole week. Granted, I wasn’t walking and talking in that time. But Rachel deserves an explanation—even if it’s a lie.

From Rachel:

               Hey! Why aren’t at school?

And . . .

               Why are you ignoring me?! Text me!

Still four left. I sigh and read them:

               I have news! Trust me, you WANT to hear it!

               Call me!

               We’re all worried sick! I saw what that bitch made you do! Please tell me you’re okay.

 I’d completely forgotten that Rachel had been there, when someone had almost killed me. Did she know I’ve been in the hospital?

With a sigh I read the last message.

               I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to ignore you!

I frown. Rachel wouldn’t have sent that. I re-check the sender.

0403 897 474.

I smile. James. I haven’t scared him off.

Without hesitation I reply:

               It’s okay.

His reply pops up a second later.

               If you say so. I still feel terrible.

Before I can reply he sends another one.

               What are you doing up, anyways?

With a smile, I reply, careful not to wake Rick.

               Because you woke me up.

“I love you,” Rick mumbles, getting closer. “Be happy.”