33

February 24, 2020

The Monday after the first few days of testing, the day of the meeting. It was agreed that it would be held at the Formula One office in London, neutral ground. Attending from Red Bull were Max, his PR team, and Christian. From Williams it would be me, Jamie, two of the general PRs Isabelle and Lucas, and the PR chief Eliza. When Claire heard that Christian was going to be there, she decided that she would attend as well. When I had told the Williams team about Max and I's true relationship and the whole situation they were eager to support me, though they did seem weary of my boyfriend. I appreciated the support but was worried about what sort of shootout might happen.

When the seven of us arrived, we were told that Red Bull was already there. We were escorted to the meeting room, and when we entered I sat down right across from Max, who gave me a comforting smile. The meeting started and went about as terribly as I expected. Max and I were allowed to voice our opinions, and there was some conversation about how we had been responsible so far, but with Christian there we were never going to get our way.

In the end, it was agreed by our two teams that we would not be permitted to interact during a race weekend, except during F1-sanctioned events such as press conferences or the driver's parade. We were still allowed to text and call but encouraged to keep it to a minimum. Max and I strongly disagreed with the verdict, but we were both bound by contracts. I was slightly annoyed with my team for not standing up for me, but angrier with Christian for being so petty.

As the meeting wrapped up, Max gestured to me to stay behind. Eventually, everyone else left the room, Eliza giving us a look as she closed the door behind them. I jumped up and ran into Max's arms. "This is so much harder than I thought it would be." I murmured, and he nodded.

"It's not fair." He held me close for a few moments, then cupped his hand on my jaw. "We'll fight for us. We'll show them that keeping us apart only makes us stronger."

I could tell how much he meant it, and it almost made me worry for him. "We have to be careful now. Christian's the one who's the maddest about this, so if you make him even more upset-"

Max knew exactly where I was going. "Psh. Christian doesn't want to lose me, so don't worry about that."

So I didn't. I spent the next few weeks in the UK with Williams, though I wish I could have spent it with Max in Monaco. Claire and I had met separately and she apologized for the situation, explaining how they didn't want to sour their already not-so-friendly relationship with Red Bull. I didn't like it, but I didn't have a choice but to accept it. Instead, I poured all my energy into my driving.

–––––

March 12, 2020 - Australian Grand Prix

Fuck. This was supposed to be my weekend. The weekend I would put my name in the history books. But it wasn't to be. Today a McLaren team member tested positive for coronavirus. Everyone expected the FIA to announce the race was canceled by tomorrow.

I shuffled my way through the paddock, trying to keep my distance from people. I felt my phone buzz in my hand and after seeing who was calling I immediately picked it up.

"Max?" I hissed. We were allowed to have phone calls, but during work hours we were pushing it.

"Have you heard?" He asked.

"Yes, I've heard! I'm on my way back to Williams, we're having a briefing about the plans for the future. They're saying the whole season is postponed."

"Yeah, the whole team is going home tomorrow night." He explained. "A bunch of drivers are sharing a flight back to Monaco, you're more than welcome."

I lowered my voice as I entered the Williams hospitality. "Why would I fly back to Monaco?"