32

November 2, 2019 – Austin, Texas

I glanced down at my phone, multiple buzzes all of a sudden coming in at once. My lips curled into a large grin as I saw the top notification. '@williamsracing tagged you in a post'. This was it. I glanced through the first couple of comments, chuckling at the surprised yet positive tone that most of them had. Gianna had sent a few prepped photos my way so I quickly chose one of me standing in front of one of the Williams car and pasted the pre-written caption that had been approved by Gianna and Jamie, my new PR at Williams.

'Hi everyone, you've heard correctly! As of the 2020 season, I will be driving in Formula One for Williams Racing. It is a dream come true, one that is a bit overdue in my opinion, but I cannot wait to get racing. Of course, I have to thank everyone at Red Bull for all of their support over the years, even up until this weekend at COTA, there is no way I would be here without them. For now, though, we are going our separate ways, and I will be putting 100% of my focus on the team at Williams. See you all in 2020!'

I was grinning as I hit the post button, my eyes drifting up as I noticed people approaching me. James and Oliver, Carlos's old Toro Rosso engineers who had taught me everything I knew and were now at Red Bull working with Alex.

"So it's all true then? Leaving us for Williams, just like that? After everything we've been through?" James teased, pulling me into a hug.

"Stop, I'm going to cry." I sniffled, hugging Oliver as well.

"We're so proud of you, kid. You've worked hard for this, congrats." Oliver rubbed my back.

"You know if you ever want to move on from Red Bull, you've both got immediate spots with me." I swore.

"We're already offering jobs, huh?" James explained. "I think we'll stick with Alex for a couple more years. No promises after that, though." He winked.

"I'm holding you to that." I poked him in the side with a chuckle.

"Becca!" The familiar voice of my current 'teammate', Alex was next to come. I spun around to face him as he ran up to me, pulling me into a big hug which I happily reciprocated. The awkwardness of our history was still there but in these special moments the emotional connection that also remained overruled any uncomfortable feelings. "You're telling me I had to find out you have a seat next year from an Instagram post?"

"Sorry, Alex." I giggled. "Between Red Bull and Williams' media requirements I had to keep everything pretty under wraps."

"That's alright." He smiled as we separated, placing a hand on my shoulder. "Congrats, Becks. You really do deserve this."

All of a sudden, Max ran up to us, picking me up and swinging me around. "Yes! It's official! Congrats, schat." He placed a sneaky kiss on my temple, knowing people were always watching.

"Thanks, Maxi." I grinned. Alex broke eye contact with us both, clearly, a bit uncomfortable as the three of us were left in a quick moment of awkward silence. "You guys better be ready for some competition next year, 'cause George and I are bringing the heat." I teased, lightly attempting to change the subject.

Luckily my attempt was successful, the two of them sharing a knowing grin. "Yeah, we'll see about that." Alex smiled.

–––––

February 19, 2020 – Barcelona, Spain

"Becca, all we've heard from you or Red Bull about your partnership is that you are 'going your separate ways.'" The reporter quoted me. "Do you have any further details on that? Do they see you driving with them in the future or is this the end of your partnership?". I couldn't help but frown. On my first day of F1 testing, I'm in my own car, literally making history, and they want to ask me about Red-fucking-Bull.

letters [max verstappen]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें