20

As Charles suggested, I decided to keep the letter. The next day, after he slept at Giada's and I slept in his bed, he, his brother Arthur, Pierre, and Anthoine helped me move my stuff out of Max's apartment. Daniel kept his word, and he kept Max away for the entirety of the morning.

"Are you really moving all the way back to Milton Keynes?" Anthoine asked as we were packing boxes.

I sighed. "It's what makes the most sense for me. I need space away from Max. Red Bull pays for my apartment there and it's closer to them as well." I explained.

"And you don't want to keep sharing a bed with Charles." Arthur joked. Anthoine and Pierre looked at Charles and me funnily before moving on.

"Well, we'll miss you around here." Anthoine professed. "And your French is going to be shit again."

I chuckled. "Sacrifices have to be made."

Before long all my stuff was packed, me only having a few pieces of decor and a good amount of clothes. The boxes were taken by the movers I had hired, who would take them to the airport in Nice, fly them to London, and deliver them to my apartment in Milton Keynes. I was flying back the same day to make sure I was there to unpack, but the boys convinced me to go out to lunch with them one more time. I was going through such shock after getting heartbroken, but being with them reminded me that I could still laugh and be happy. I was going to miss them, but I was going back to England where I had many friends as well- Jack who I had raced with last year, George who I was racing with this year, and of course Callum, who was both my RBR and Van Amersfoort teammate this year in European F3.

I said my goodbyes to Pierre and Charles, and then Anthoine drove me to the airport. We chatted a bit about VAR, as he was also racing with Callum and me. He dropped me off and soon I was on a plane headed for the UK.

When I finally got back to my apartment it was late, about 11 pm. In the silent darkness, I collapsed onto my couch and I realized what had actually happened in the last 48 hours. I learned that the boy I loved, who I thought loved me had sabotaged my career to further his own. Then I had broken up with him, abruptly moved out of his home in Monaco and back into my home in Milton Keynes. All in 2 days. A wave of emotion hit me, and suddenly I felt my eyes fill with tears. I knew in my heart that I still loved Max, but he hurt me in a way that I never thought he could.

—————

August 2017 - Monaco

Lance snuck around the corner, leaning on the door frame of the bathroom. "Are you sure it's ok that I invited Max?" He asked guiltily. I sighed as I wrapped a coil of hair around the curler in my hand.

"I told you, it's fine. You're just being friendly. But I'm also not going to let a boy ruin my yacht day. I'm a big girl, I'll just keep my distance." I reassured him.

He raised an eyebrow. "Ok. Just let me know if you feel any different."

——

Lance parked the car and came around to open my door like a gentleman. I took his hand as I got out and adjusted the sarong around my waist. I linked my arm in his as we walked down the dock to his dad's yacht. As we walked up the plank I grinned as I got a few playful whistles from our friends already on board.

"Looking good, Bec!" Julie called from where she was standing with Anthoine, his arm around her shoulders. She giggled as I struck a pose for her, then we ran towards each other, jumping into each other's arms.

"I missed you!" I squeezed her, and then hugged Anthoine, who had walked over as well. "You both look so good."

"Says you! That F2 life is doing you well." Anthoine winked. I rolled my eyes playfully, then Alex and George came barreling down the stairs to the roof deck, George's girlfriend Seychelle right behind them.