Chapter Six: Do I Sink Or Do I Float Now?

Notes: Still posting my little backlog of chapters!~ In this one we get Maelstrom, along with some Vik and Misty interactions that were really fun to write of course heavy on our precious boy Jackie too.

Word Count: 9004

Chapter Warnings: Canon typical violence, cursing, installation of cyberware.

Notes: Still posting my little backlog of chapters!~ In this one we get Maelstrom, along with some Vik and Misty interactions that were really fun to write of course heavy on our precious boy Jackie too.

Word Count: 9004

Chapter Warnings: Canon typical violence, cursing, installation of cyberware.

With a tightness in her chest and a heavy sigh, V answers Dex's call. She'll play it by ear and maybe wait until they're in person to drop the news about Evelyn. The client really had to drag her into this bullshit, didn't she?

"How're things lookin', Miss. V?"

"Client had a recording that helped us out, Konpeki Plaza."

"Beautiful. T-Bug already called, said she's workin' her magic. And the Flathead?"

"On it now and quick question, how are we getting into Konpeki?"

"Through the front door, how else? I'm no leadhead. Ain't gonna leave no trace for them to follow 'cause we gonna do this clean an' on the hush-hush," Dex confirms her beliefs, she needs cyberware, something.

"Got it, on my way to get the Flathead, now."

"T-Bug says no chance at the chip without that bot. To work, then, Miss V."

He hangs up and V leaves Lizzie's bar, night air cold on her exposed skin. She'll swing by her apartment, drop by Vik's, and then meet up with Jackie at All Foods. V makes a beeline to her car, starting a call and patching a call to Jackie through the radio speaker.

"Jackie," she signs one handed as she drives, "Met the client. Her name's Parker. Evelyn Parker."

"OK. Whatcha waitin' for? Gimme the deets. Who is she? What's she like?"

"Shady as fuck. Doll, I think, fucks Yorinobu Arasaka and now she wants to fuck him over."

"Don't seem that odd."

"She's...off, Jackie. Hiding something, big, I just. Don't trust her, don't think she's a bad person, just... not to be trusted."

"Yeah, sounds like nerves talkin' to me. Makes everyone seem suspect. Stress can kill you, y'know."

"Yeah, yeah, so you tell me."

"What about Militech?"

"I met with the corpo."

"V... "

"Hear me out, woman gave me hell and a spiked chip, wanted me to pay on Militech's dime but the chip would have fried Maelstrom and left us cleaning up the mess."

"Of course, I told you, V."

"But, I managed to crack it. Maelstrom plays nice, I got a clean ten grand off of Maelstrom. Chrome snorters pull bullshit; we fuck them and send a middle finger to Militech while we're at it. We can talk it out more when we meet."

"Alright, waitin' for ya at All Foods, ya know. Not gettin' any younger."

"Well, grab something to eat, going to be a while longer."