Chapter Seven: Flying Towards An Early Grave

Notes: Still posting my little backlog, I will warn in advanced, the next chapter is the heist (finally) AND IT IS A CHONKER, but for now have a little appetizer with some fun times, smut, and foreshadowing!~

Word Count: 10860

Chapter Warnings: heavy foreshadowing, food, blowjobs, groping, protected vaginal sex, car sex

V's body is heavy as she gets to her apartment door, ready to curl up into bed and call it a day. She's exhausted with adrenaline gone. She presses her thumb to the panel. The little intercom doorbell is also the lock, scanning and searching for SID validation. It takes a moment to scan, it seems to be lagging more lately.

Calling.

The intercom says it's calling, why is it calling? She can hear the automated ringing and her lights inside are probably flashing. It only does this if the SID doesn't match the apartment owner's, assuming them a guest. V presses again.

Calling.

She presses harder.

Calling.

She tries her entire hand.

Calling.

She kicks her door, a heavy sound as her boot collides with it. That doesn't help with the lock, but it makes her feel a little better. Just what she needs; bloody, sore, and locked out of her apartment for who fucking knows why? Her stomach growls as she pulls up the number for building maintenance.

"Megabuilding Maintenance, how can I help?"

"I'm locked out of my apartment," V signs, her choker translator on.

"What do you mean?"

"The lock isn't recognizing my SID."

"Can I get your name and apartment number?"

V gives them the details and they say they're sending a maintenance guy. All of the services floor is nearly shut down at the late hour, her stomach growling. No doubt the maintenance guy will take his sweet fucking time, so much for getting some decent sleep. She gets a burrito, a Nicola, and a little thing of ketchup from the machines. Sitting on the ground near her door, dumping ketchup on her burrito as she eats it.

By the time the guy arrives she's finished eating, drinking, and is a little unsure what's dried blood versus dried ketchup on her shirt. She hops to her feet when she sees the guy walking up, a massive case of resting bitch face. V doubts he wanted to be dragged out at three am to help unlock a door, but it's not her fault the tech fucked up.

"You V?" he asks, voice gruff and annoyed.

"Yep."

"Hard day?" His eyebrow raises, gaze focused on her blood stained flesh and chrome.

"Work."

"Ah... I see," he nods, "so, what's the issue with your door?"

Night City is one of the few places where one can just admit to being a mercenary for a living, even if it did earn her an odd look. V presses her hand to the lock button again and it once again initiates a call.

"Doesn't recognize my SID."

"Hmm, you are V, right?" He raises an eyebrow.

"Who the fuck else would I be? The building has a picture of me on file for fucks sake."

"Hey, hey, nowadays with enough eddies anybody can look like anybody."

"If I had an identity worth stealing, you really think I'd be living here?"