No Snow White in Sight

Začít od začátku

"Woah," she breathed. She hefted her glaive a little higher and shined it in Aiden's face. Aru was surprised to see that he was just staring at her. When the light shone on him, he quickly averted his eyes, but not before Aru caught him.

She was just about to repeat her question, when he stammered, "W-wow. How did you do that with your glaive?"

Aru glared at him. "Stop using Gandalf as an excuse. Hurry up and tell me what you wanted to say!"

"Gandalf? You named your glaive Gandalf?"

"Of course I did. You like that name don't you, Gandalf?" A searing heat burst through her palm, and she nearly dropped it. A mild shock to her hand soon registered and let her know that her glaive did not appreciate being named after the fictional wizard. Hmph. Ungrateful glaive.

"Besides, you shouldn't judge me. You named your camera Shadowfax."

"Touché," Aiden replied, shrugging.

"Anyways, stop dodging the question," Aru demanded, after recovering from the shock and blowing on her slightly burnt hand.

Aiden fidgeted with Shadowfax on his wrist. He had turned it into its watch form just after they escaped the lava.

"I-I was just gonna say that..."

Aru peered at him closely. Aiden was steadily turning a shade of crimson.

"That?" She prompted.

"That I admire and like you a lot! And, I was glad that I could be with you in our supposed last moment," Aiden blurted out, maybe a little too loudly.

Aru felt her cheeks heat up rapidly.

"Wha-what?" She squeaked.

"Tone it down a little, lovebirds!" Brynne hollered. "We can hear everything you're saying!"

Aru and Aiden both blushed furiously. She could hear her sisters and Rudy giggling up front. She quickly dimmed Gandalf's light so that her blush couldn't be easily seen,

Then, to Aiden, she whispered, "What about the whole staying friends thing until we beat the Sleeper?"

Aiden gave her a small, sheepish grin. "Yeah, I'm sorry. I was just trying to buy time. I was being selfish, wasn't I?"

"No," she told him honestly. She was surprised at her own firmness. "It's understandable considering...you know. What happened with your parents." Aru was a little angry at him earlier, but she had a lot of time to think since then. She supposed anyone would be suspicious of love after what happened with Aiden and his family.

Aiden gave her a genuine smile. Through the dim light, she could see his dimples flashing. "Thank you, Shah. I was a little hesitant, but nearly dying helped me clear my mind, for some reason. But, I'm ready now. I mean, if you are too..."

Aru didn't say anything. Instead, she leaned in and gave him a quick hug. She pulled away, blushing.

She didn't wait to see his reaction. Instead, Aru jogged up to join her sisters, leaving a red-faced Aiden behind.

The three vamanas didn't try to start up a conversation. Rather, they just kept walking ahead, not even bothering to look behind them.

"So, Mr... uh, what exactly should we call you?" Mini asked, trying to cut the silence.

"You may call me Mani," replied the one on the right, not slowing down his pace. "The one in the middle is Dhani, and the one on the left is Vikram."