Chapter Thirty Nine

Start from the beginning

“The nature of my personal connection to Hero has not changed in any significant way,” she said carefully.

“I'm not so sure about that.” Anne was starting to look stubborn. “I wouldn’t be surprised if Hero is considering an offer of marriage.”

It required every ounce of self-control Josephine possessed not to burst into tears. Somehow she managed to keep her voice steady. “I do not want Hero to feel that he has an obligation to propose marriage to me merely because of recent events. Is that quite clear?”

Anne and Felix exchanged glances.

“I understand,” Anne said, “but—”

“It would be extremely unfair if he were made to feel that he was honour-bound to offer marriage,” Josephine said evenly. “You know how he is when it comes to his sense of responsibility.”

Anne exchanged another look with Felix, who grimaced in response.

“Everyone knows that Hero’s sense of duty tends to be somewhat excessive on occasion,” Anne admitted.

“Precisely,” Josephine said.

“You may be right about FT's attitude toward his responsibilities, Miss Langford,” Felix said. “But in this case, I fear there is a good reason why he will consider that an offer of marriage is the only honourable thing he can do.”

Josephine lifted her chin. She tried not to clench her hands. “I will not have it.”

Felix sighed. “No offence, but after having posed as FT’s fiancée and having been perceived to be on rather intimate terms with him, you will never be able to show your face in Polite Circles again unless you and he are wed.”

“Felix is correct,” Anne assured her.

“My future in Society is not a problem,” Josephine said. “I have none. That was understood from the start of this affair. Indeed, Hero and I discussed the matter thoroughly before we agreed to the arrangement.”

“But Jo, you were very nearly killed because of this post,” Anne said. “Hero never intended that you be put into danger.”

“Of course he didn’t.” Josephine straightened her shoulders. “And it is precise because of the fact that I was placed in danger that I fear he may feel obliged to go beyond the original terms of our agreement and offer marriage. I refuse to allow him to be placed under such a ridiculous sense of obligation.”

“I comprehend your meaning, Miss Langford,”  Felix said gently. “Nevertheless, don’t you think it would be best if you talked to him about your scheme first?”

“No,” Josephine said firmly. “Can I depend upon you to handle this matter for me, sir?”

Felix heaved another sigh. “I will do my best to assist you, Miss Langford.”

Hero

At four o’clock that afternoon, Hero came down the steps in front of his club, walked past the long line of waiting carriages, and stopped in front of the door of a handsome maroon equipage.

“I got your message, Felix,” he said through the open window. “What the fuck is this all about?” Then he noticed Anne sitting next to Felix. “Are you two on your way to the park?”

“No,” Anne said. Her expression was one of grim resolve. “We came here to discuss a matter of the utmost importance with you.”

“Quite right.” Felix thrust open the door. “Will you join us, sir?”