Chapter Twenty Four

Hero

Hero went back down the spiral staircase, humming very softly to himself. The combination of guilt, panic and the afterglow of his lovemaking in Josephine’s glorious blue eyes had been priceless.

High time she accepted the blame for toying with his emotions, he thought cheerfully.

The situation in which they were now embroiled had become stunningly more complex with tonight’s events, but despite all that had transpired, he was feeling better than he had in a very long time.

Meanwhile, he now had not one but two murders to solve.

At the foot of the staircase, he remembered to shove his fingers through his hair, raking it back from his forehead into some semblance of neatness. A quick check of his appearance in the octagonal mirror beside the door assured him that he looked like a man who had been relaxing in the privacy of his library after a busy night on the town.

He surveyed the room. As far as he could tell there was no evidence whatsoever that he had just finished engaging in a bout of wild, reckless passion with his fraudulent fiancée.

He opened the door and went down the corridor, taking his time and making enough noise to ensure that Anne and Felix had ample notice of his impending arrival.

The murmur of low voices stopped when he walked into the front hall. Anne and Felix were standing very close together. The air of intimacy that surrounded them was unmistakable.

They both looked at him. Anne’s face was flushed. Felix wore a bedazzled expression.

“Good evening, Hero,” Anne said brightly. “I didn’t know you were still awake.”

Hero inclined his head. “I’m sure you’re exhausted and anxious to go upstairs to bed.”

“Well, not really—” Anne began.

Hero ignored her and looked at Felix. “I’m having a brandy in the library, Kent. Will you join me?”

Felix tightened his grip on the handle of his walking stick. “Yes, of course.”

Anne frowned, looking distinctly uneasy. “Hero, why do you want to be private with Felix? You are not going to embarrass me by asking him to declare his intentions, are you? If so, I would remind you that I am a widow, not a green girl. My personal life is my own.”

Hero sighed. “Yet another female who thinks she should be allowed to make all her own decisions. What the fuck is the world coming to, Kent? At this rate, the ladies will soon have no more need of us poor males.”

“I am serious, Hero,” Anne said forcefully.

“It’s all right, my dear.” Felix kissed her hand. “FT and I are old friends, remember? I have no objection whatsoever to joining him for brandy in his library.”

Anne did not look happy about the situation, but her eyes softened. “Very well. But promise me that you will not allow him to coerce you into making any statements or promises that you do not wish to make.”

Felix patted her hand reassuringly. “Do not worry about me, my dear. I am quite capable of dealing with this matter.”

“Yes, of course.” Anne shot Hero one last warning glance, picked up her skirts and went swiftly up the stairs.

Hero motioned Felix down the hall toward the library. “I think you will find that my new brandy is excellent.”

Felix chuckled. “I do not doubt that. You only purchase the best.”