"Thanks, daddy," you said with a grin.

He smiled as he shook his head. "I am entirely too indulgent where you are concerned. It is pointed out to me frequently."

You hummed in agreement. "I assume these are the same people that are the first to recommend hiring me when needed."

"That they are," he said with a chuckle. His attention turned to Godric. "And who is he exactly?"

"That's Godric. I already introduced him. Pay attention, Pop." You were being deliberately obtuse. That wasn't what he'd meant at all.

"Who is he to you?"

A slow smile slid onto your face. "He's my boyfriend."

His gaze flicked to Eric. "And you are okay with your mate claiming another?"

Your mate's smile mirrored your own as he gave a little shrug. "He is my boyfriend as well, so I fail to see the problem."

Roman leaned against the back of his chair and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Eric and your daughter were made for each other. It was evident from their first meeting. I would never dream of coming between them. But if they wish to make room for me in their relationship, who am I to refuse them? I am no fool." They were the first words Godric had spoken all evening. You didn't know if they made any sort of impact with your father, but they had you grinning from ear to ear.

"You are aware that I am a vampire and you can't actually give me a heart attack, correct?" Roman asked you.

"I can keep trying."

He took a deep breath. "I don't know why I would expect anything else."

"Since we're covering all the heavy topics, why exactly is it that you can still feel me as strongly as if we'd exchanged blood yesterday when it's been months? Especially since I've fed from both of them?" you asked.

Your father went very still. "I'm not sure what you're getting at."

Eric crossed his arms over his chest and you knew he was dying to say something. Wisely, he was leaving the interrogation of your father up to you.

"Oh, I think you do. I also think you know the answer," you said.

He pressed the button on the table that called a waiter. "Fine. But not here. Your place would be best. Somewhere there is no chance of being overheard."

Well...that was unsettling.

***

Once you arrived home, Eric poured drinks for all of you. You settled in the living room and watched your father as he stood. His fingers nervously tapped the glass in his hand.

"There was a woman. An informant before the Great Revelation. An ally. She proved invaluable. When she was discovered and her usefulness exhausted, I offered to change her rather than kill her. She'd earned it." He drained his glass. Eric was quick to get to his feet and refill it. "She accepted provided we proceed immediately."

"You didn't find that odd?" Godric asked.

"Not really. I figured she must have feared losing her nerve. It happens." Roman shrugged. "Truth be told, I had a soft spot for the woman. She was beautiful and sweet. Compassionate. I changed her myself."

You shifted uneasily. You had never met this woman, nor had she been mentioned before tonight. Something told you that you weren't going to like where this story was headed.

"As I worked with her, taught her how to be a vampire, I noticed a change in her appearance. Her stomach was growing." He licked his lips. "Upon questioning, I discovered that she wished be turned quickly to terminate an unwanted pregnancy. It should have worked, but miraculously she was still pregnant. The baby was still growing."

"That is impossible," Eric breathed.

"Improbable," Godric corrected with a glance in your direction.

"I was fascinated. I told no one and kept her locked away, afraid she would find a way to end the pregnancy as she'd wished in the first place. When the baby was born, there was an immediate connection between us. Almost like the bond between a sire and his progeny, but different somehow."

Roman stood with his feet wide and his arms crossed over his chest as he looked down at you. Your heart raced in anticipation of his next words. "I killed the doctor and nurse that delivered the child. And when your mother insisted you were a monster that needed to die, I killed her as well."

The casual way he told you that you were indeed the child in question and that he'd killed your mother in the same sentence rocked through you. Sent you off kilter. And, while you supposed you should be furious with him for doing it, you weren't. After all, according to him, she wanted you dead so why should you be angry that it was her instead of you.

"For all intents and purposes, I am your father. My blood runs through your veins."

"Why didn't you tell me?" you finally found your voice to ask.

"At first, I feared you'd trust the wrong person. Your origins can never be discovered. There are too many that would fall to the temptation to experiment."

"And later?" you prompted when he didn't continue on his own.

"I was terrified I would lose you when you discovered the truth." He ran a hand down his face and took a deep breath. "But I swore that I would tell you everything if you asked. So, I am."

You stood then and hugged him. He gripped you tightly and sighed in contentment. "You're not going to lose me, daddy. You saved me."

When you pulled away, you frowned in irritation. "Though this does mean that we technically still don't know what I am."

"Of course we do, my love," Godric said with a smirk. "You are what you have always been. An impossible thing."