Chapter 76

“Grand Chamberlain.” a voice called out, and when the Grand Chamberlain turned around, he saw King Kasser walking towards him. He turned to greet him properly, bowing as the King stopped before him.

“Your Highness, it’s good to see you.” he greeted and straightened up, “Was there something I could help you with?” he asked, and Kasser nodded. He went behind his desk and then sat down.

“Yes,” Kasser answered, “The Queen, when does she usually wake up?”

Had he been asked this question some time ago, he would’ve been surprised by the sudden concern the King had with the Queen. But now, he could understand where it was coming from, especially when he himself had witnessed how much the royal couple’s relationship had changed.

Fortunately, he took it upon himself to learn the Queen’s schedule, that he could give the King a reliable answer.

“Her Majesty, the Queen, rises by three in the morning, Your Highness.”

Time, in Mahar, was set by the Sang-je’s standards. And by his standards, three in the morning was already late.

Kasser stared outside the window, and watched the dark sky, estimating the time. There was still a couple more hours then until she awakens.

“Your Highness, shall I fetch someone to make you tea?” the Grand Chamberlain asked him, and Kasser shook his head.

“No, thank you,” he said while he stood up from his seat and began to get ready to head out. “If she asks after me, tell her I’ll be back before tomorrow comes.” The Grand Chamberlain nodded.

“Of course, Your Highness.”

And with that, Kasser left his office. It wasn’t that he had a particular destination in mind, but it wasn’t long until he found himself standing outside of the Queen’s bedroom, caught in a peculiar mood.

He was only planning on taking a short detour before leaving, when he happened to pass by her room. Slowly, he turned the knob and pushed the door open. He let himself in, and closed the door quietly behind him.

Once the door closed with a click, he looked around the room and saw it was dark. He opted out of lighting up a candle and instead used his Praz to see in the dark. And there he saw her, sleeping soundly on her bed.

She looked so peaceful, snuggled soundly on her pillows, her blanket wrapped around her. She looked so beautiful, so innocent…

So pure.

The Queen had waited for your arrival until midnight and fell asleep, Your Highness.

He felt something in his stomach churn in the thought, and Kasser let out a quiet sigh. He ran his hand through his blue locks. If she was trying to trick him into doing something for her, it was considerably worse than what she did in the past.

Back then, it was clear what he was expected to do and what they each wanted to achieve with being married to each other. He didn’t need to overthink when he knew what the apparent goal was.

For a while, he treated her like he did any other guest staying at his palace, but now…Things rather appeared complicated.

He let out a sigh, and decided it was high time for him to leave. But just when he was about to leave the room, he caught sight of a pile of papers on the Queen’s desk table. As he scanned its contents, he realized they were all reports made by the general officer.

Taking the papers into his hand, he made his way to the lounge area of the room. He reclined himself on the sofa and began reading. He knows that whenever he leaves the palace, the General would take it upon herself to go over the affairs and approve them to her own discretion. The reports would later be assessed by the King upon their return.